Standard dosing of Ondansetron

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My 'new' primary vet just prescribed Ondansetron for Feeby to see if she might be having some nausea that would explain her lack of interest in eating, despite being on Mirataz. The prescription was 4mg dose pills and the instructions say to give one pill every 6 to 12 hours as needed. I questioned her about the dose, and she said 4mg is fine to give a cat that weighs between 11 & 12 pounds.

Everything I have read suggests that 1mg is more likely the proper dosage. What dose do you give your cats? Thanks.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd trust this author with my firstborn (were such a creature to exist).....it seems the 'experts' recommend varying dosages, and varying frequencies of dosing.....and, do be sure to read the cautions (like its use w/meowzapine).........all right here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd trust this author with my firstborn (were such a creature to exist).....it seems the 'experts' recommend varying dosages, and varying frequencies of dosing.....and, do be sure to read the cautions (like its use w/meowzapine).........all right here
I do use Tanya's web site as a guide for many things - and numerous articles cite the same dosage (0.11mg per pound of cat). Some of those same articles also state that dosages can be as high as 0.5mg per pound, which is a considerable increase. So, I was just wondering what most folks on this site use.

If anything, a cat that has never had ondansetron before probably should start out at no more than what seems to be the standard amount.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am giving Geoffrey Zofran. The IMVet prescribed the 4 mg tablets. Geoffrey weighs in the 12-13 lb range.
His dose is 1/4 tablet (1 mg) twice a day.

So sorry you are having so many issues with Vets.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am giving Geoffrey Zofran. The IMVet prescribed the 4 mg tablets. Geoffrey weighs in the 12-13 lb range. His dose is 1/4 tablet (1 mg) twice a day. So sorry you are having so many issues with Vets.
Thanks. I think you've said before how you are splitting up these tablets into 4 parts, but I can't remember. Also, does G take them willingly in a bit of food or lickable treat?

I just tried crushing a tablet and dividing into 4 parts, gave Feeby one part in a small spoon of chicken baby food meat and she wouldn't eat it. So, I tried another 1/4 part with a bite of beef baby food meat, which she once liked and then turned up her nose at - but this time she did eat it.

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anything, a cat that has never had ondansetron before probably should start out at no more than what seems to be the standard amount.
Whose "standard?" The point is that experts suggest slightly differing amounts....and, pay attention: different frequencies (as there's a question of, in plain language, how long each dose will retain efficacy.)

Yes, I understand wanting to 'poll' here.

Helen's poll showed "A commonly used dose on Tanya's Support Group is 1 mg each time it is given...", and she goes on to say "This ties in with Pet Place, which mentions that the usual dose for cats is 0.11mg per pound bodyweight, i.e. 1.1mg for a 10 lb (4.5kg) cat, given 2-3 times a day."

I know that Blaize was given this from an ER, but I can't find any remainder......sorry, no help there.

FWIW, my general rule of thumb is to use the lowest dose that produces the desired effect.........always a good standard w/kidney cats anyway.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
My IMVet is also on the do to give animals more meds than what is absolutely necessary.

I cut the Zofran pill into halves, lengthwise, with a pill cutter.
Then, as I found from the FB lymphoma group.. I use a nail trimmer to cut the halves in half.. Last week I ordered a needle nose craft type tweezers, to hold the slivers of Pill. It works great!!

I was putting the sliver in a glop of Weruva food.. or RC PR.. It worked for a few times with the RC PR, then he tasted the pill, eating around it. Same thing with the Weruva.

Now, I am putting it into a tiny capsule, and just giving it to him, with a pill gun.. The capsule is huge compared to the sliver.

I wonder if a piece of moldable cheese would work? I tried hiding it in a bowl with some crushed up freeze dried lamb, but Geoffrey sensed it, leaving it there.

I think any pill, which is cut, has a really bitter taste. So I can see them refusing the food, leaving the pill.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My IMVet is also on the do to give animals more meds than what is absolutely necessary...I cut the Zofran pill into halves, lengthwise, with a pill cutter. Then, as I found from the FB lymphoma group.. I use a nail trimmer to cut the halves in half.. Last week I ordered a needle nose craft type tweezers, to hold the slivers of Pill.
Thanks! So, am I to gather that the FB lymphoma group also thinks 1mg per dose is the 'right' amount? I know you are not fond of the SCL io forum, but I just found out that they are in agreement with my vet about the dosage - 4mg at least 3 times a day. They are saying that 1mg per dose isn't enough to do anything, especially with a cat that weighs as much as G and Feeby do. So, just wondered if the FB group has an opinion on the dosage.

Feeby won't consume capsules, as anything that is not pate/mush she feels the need to bite/chew before swallowing. So, I guess I am going to have to get a pill shooter and see if I can get the ondansetron down her that way - maybe by molding it into some pill masker rather than a capsule, then it could be smaller in size.

I screwed up this morning and took 1/4 of the pill (crushed) and added it to her bite of food that she gets her hyper-T meds crushed into - she refused to eat that bite and it has never been an issue before.

And this is so maddening, as I just got her off gabapentin for her arthritis because of the trauma - to her and me - of getting that med down her (she received an injection of Solensia instead) - and now that is going to be replaced with forcing ondansetron into her. :cringe:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if a piece of moldable cheese would work?

I think any pill, which is cut, has a really bitter taste. So I can see them refusing the food, leaving the pill.
Speaking of soft cheese, I've seen mention of a type of edible 'putty' used specifically for 'pilling', so that's a "thing". It isn't available here, though. Likely online. If anyone has a link/site/source, I'd appreciate! Rusty is the ultimate unpillable-er.

On cut pills, not all are bitter...but, for those that are, once the 'coating' is fractured......it's a dead-giveaway !

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...(Feeby) received an injection of Solensia instead...
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner - it could be helpful to others w/arthritic cats to have a new thread here for cats receiving Solensia - opening post with a link to the initial thread on its introduction (this one)- then folks could post with their own cats' experience/observations/behaviour changes/whatever. HINT...HINT LOL

There's such a thread on a UK pet forum and it's been really interesting to see the varying outcomes.

Rusty gets his 4th this week.....I'll just say that it's really difficult to judge these things without bias...anyway, thankfully it's injectable!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I saw it briefly. Sorry for not posing. I had a fall, yesterday. My knee and back are sore, more so the knee. I was up all night, so Napping and icing today..

Honestly, I never really asked the members about the specific dose. I was just so happy that the IMVet finally prescribed Zofran. I never questioned the dose. It seems to help Geoffrey.

I think daftcat75 daftcat75 may have more information on it. Betty is on Zofran.

I did look up the dose on line. If I remember correctly 1-4 mg was the correct dose. There is a formula for the dose, based on weight.
Geoffrey is getting 2 mg, total, per day.

I am sorry you are going through this.. especially after discontinuing the gabapentin. It stinks.

I can try to ask the forum, but I am not sure if they will be willing to discuss dosing on FB. I will try.
Have you you thought of joining the FB lymphoma group? They are much more supportive and not demanding as the Web based forum is. I find that one being run like a dictatorship.

Just looked up the doses, on line: up to 2 mg for a small cat and up to 4 mg for a large cat.. what they consider a large cat, I do not know.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
artiemom artiemom , again thanks. Sorry for your fall, I hope the remnants from it do not last long!

Oddly enough, in a couple of posts on that web-based forum, one person gives their cat Zofran 2mg a day. Another actually said they give 4mg. So, it is not set in concrete even on those who do use that site! Most online articles do seem to stick with 1mg twice a day, but many do note that dosages up to 4mg are not unprecedented. It probably isn't going to matter anyway, as I can't even get her to take 1mg - much less try shoving 4mg down her throat.

I will sign up for the FB lymphoma group, but if they don't discuss dosages for medicines as a general rule, what benefits do you feel you get from them? I will try to make that the last question I ask of you!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!! You are making me sound like a monster!! NO.. please.. I am not trying to get rid of you!! In fact, I had just signed of TCS, when I saw I had a new message. Because I thought it may be from you, I resigned in.

I know how much you love your baby!! I would be going crazy, myself.. ((((HUGS)))))

I only suggested that, because you may find more direct answers from them.. Sorry if I offended you.. ❤🙏. I did not mean to upset you....

I am going on FB now, to ask the question. If I get any answers, I will let you know!!! promise!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, no - you did NOT offend me at all. And, sorry if what I said made you feel as if I think you are a monster - that would be a no, no, no, and many more no's!!!

And I just asked to join the FB group. I can ask them, no need for you to feel like you should.

Go rest and do more icing, and work to heal!!!!!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I asked... as in 'for a friend"..

there seems to me a recent, today, post about Zofran:
"""""""""" I’ve given my kitty 4 mg before, without any issues. Her oncologist said that I could go up to 4 mg 2/3x per day if needed (I rarely do).""""""""

Another:
""""" Or…….you can have a compounding pharmacy do a liquid suspension at 2mg/.1mL (20 mg/1mL) Would be a lot easier than pilling. That would have a 3 month shelf life. Transdermal Zofran is possible but there are no studies as to its efficacy and it would only have a 30 day shelf life."""""

hope this helps.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of replies: one, 2 mg per day... another is 4 mg per day.. So it depends on the Vet, you cat, and conditions..
As long as it is not over 4 mg per day.. I say start at the lowest and then ask for increasing dose..

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I saw it briefly. Sorry for not posing. I had a fall, yesterday. My knee and back are sore, more so the knee. I was up all night, so Napping and icing today..

Honestly, I never really asked the members about the specific dose. I was just so happy that the IMVet finally prescribed Zofran. I never questioned the dose. It seems to help Geoffrey.

I think daftcat75 daftcat75 may have more information on it. Betty is on Zofran.

I did look up the dose on line. If I remember correctly 1-4 mg was the correct dose. There is a formula for the dose, based on weight.
Geoffrey is getting 2 mg, total, per day.

I am sorry you are going through this.. especially after discontinuing the gabapentin. It stinks.

I can try to ask the forum, but I am not sure if they will be willing to discuss dosing on FB. I will try.
Have you you thought of joining the FB lymphoma group? They are much more supportive and not demanding as the Web based forum is. I find that one being run like a dictatorship.

Just looked up the doses, on line: up to 2 mg for a small cat and up to 4 mg for a large cat.. what they consider a large cat, I do not know.
I am not an expert on all things cats or IBD. I just read and write a lot. And unfortunately, I'm on my second IBD cat.

Betty takes 1 mg twice a day. I never really questioned the dose. It sounded right and it works for her. She's 10 lbs +/- an ounce or two.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FWIW, I just managed to get 2mg ondansetron into Feeby, by going back to using pill pockets. I used three, broke them into 6 total pieces and added the 1/2 tablet to one of them. Placed them alongside of her H-T meds crushed in a lickable treat. Everything gone! Of course, she also received a dose of Mirataz earlier today, which might have helped, even though that is not helping her to eat her 'regular' food. This is going to be day by day, with results varying by dose, to be sure.