Standard dosing of Ondansetron

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does ondansetron have a cumulative effect - in that it might take days to see a positive change in eating? I thought it was more or less 'immediate'.

Feeby has only received this med for a few days. The first two days were 'iffy' in terms of getting her to take it, and she likely only got 1mg once a day. Yesterday, being the 3rd day, I did get her to take 2mg twice a day - and, again this morning, she took another dose. But I am not seeing that it is getting her to eat any more than before. She will eat treats and baby food meat, but her 'regular' food intake is pathetic.

I am still giving her Mirataz every other day at full strength (2mg/1.5" ointment thread).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does ondansetron have a cumulative effect - in that it might take days to see a positive change in eating? I thought it was more or less 'immediate'.

Feeby has only received this med for a few days. The first two days were 'iffy' in terms of getting her to take it, and she likely only got 1mg once a day. Yesterday, being the 3rd day, I did get her to take 2mg twice a day - and, again this morning, she took another dose. But I am not seeing that it is getting her to eat any more than before. She will eat treats and baby food meat, but her 'regular' food intake is pathetic.

I am still giving her Mirataz every other day at full strength (2mg/1.5" ointment thread).
The ondansetron should work more or less immediately. 🤷🏼‍♂️

As for the Mirataz, I think you can give that daily (unlike the pills which are recommended every other day or every third day dosing.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The ondansetron should work more or less immediately. 🤷🏼‍♂️
As for the Mirataz, I think you can give that daily (unlike the pills which are recommended every other day or every third day dosing.)
Not good news, as I suspect increasing the dose for ondansetron will probably put her over the edge. The pills are small, but she will definitely pick up on the whole 4mg tablet. I can keep breaking them into 2 pieces and give her both at once - and hope I can get her to take more pill pocket pieces. That could very well be the 'straw that breaks the camel's back'.

I once tried daily Mirataz, but it made her howl. Perhaps, not now. I dunno. :dunno:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not good news, as I suspect increasing the dose for ondansetron will probably put her over the edge. The pills are small, but she will definitely pick up on the whole 4mg tablet. I can keep breaking them into 2 pieces and give her both at once - and hope I can get her to take more pill pocket pieces. That could very well be the 'straw that breaks the camel's back'.

I once tried daily Mirataz, but it made her howl. Perhaps, not now. I dunno. :dunno:
Maybe a smaller ribbon daily may be more effective than the full dose every other day? I find that mirtz requires some experimentation to balance the intended effect against the side effects.

I wish I knew what to tell you about ondansetron. Even at the 1 mg (twice a day) dose, it is so helpful for Betty.

Is Feeby also taking prednisilone for the SCL? That would help her appetite. I mean that’s not what it’s there for. But it’s a pleasant side effect.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe a smaller ribbon daily may be more effective than the full dose every other day? I find that mirtz requires some experimentation to balance the intended effect against the side effects. I wish I knew what to tell you about ondansetron. Even at the 1 mg (twice a day) dose, it is so helpful for Betty. Is Feeby also taking prednisilone for the SCL? That would help her appetite. I mean that’s not what it’s there for. But it’s a pleasant side effect.
I think I will try a smaller ribbon of Mirataz daily first, before upping the ondansetron. I have played around with the Mirataz dose (she's been taking it since last November), and I had found a half dose every other day seemed to work well. Then it became a full dose every other day not too long ago. So, maybe we reached the need for at least 1/2 every day.

Feeby has not been started on Pred as yet. Her primary vet seems to think that using Pred in advance of Chlorambucil can render the latter less effective when introduced at a later date. Her original oncologist said it was fine, but for reasons unknown to me she has now gone MIA, so I am not willing to trust anything she said. I am waiting for her to be seen by another oncologist with a cancer specialty group, but that appt is not until 11/11 unless there is a cancellation before then. Everything I have read suggests starting both at the same time, but that doesn't really mean much, I know.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Didn’t read replies. May already have your answer.
Odansetron 0.5 mg/kg PO q 12 - 24 hrs. So, for an 11 lb cat that would be 2.5 mg once a day to twice a day. Usually the tablets are 4 mg each, so, a little more than 1/2 a tablet. But these doses are not written in stone and different veterinarians have different understandings. Also studies are done showing different doses. Ondansetron is off label for animals, so there isn’t a manufacturer’s recommendation for a dose. A lot of veterinary drugs are human drugs used off label for animals.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw this. I do not know about a culmative effect for zofran. I give it twice a day.

As for the mirtz — I seriously thought it would have Geoffrey yelling and pacing constantly. I have been pleasantly surprised. G is calmer, happier on it. I use a full dose, daily of the ointment. I wonder if that is the difference? I have noticed that he YELLS at me more, but not that much. He has also turned into a semi lap cat.

I have been reducing the dose, slowly. This week is 1/2 dose daily. So far so good.
Although Geoffrey has a bit of water regurgitation yesterday

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
S silent meowlook - I have read the same data as you and understand the 'typical' dose advice. I was really looking more for experience - from many of the folks on this site, along with another forum - it would seem 1mg twice a day is the relative norm. She currently gets 2mg twice a day, as long as I am able to get her to take it. So, she is above what seems to be the 'practicing' norm already.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks again artiemom artiemom . I am going to stay with the 2mg twice a day of the ondansetron - for as long as I can before she rejects it - and begin giving her 1/2 dose daily of the Mirataz. We will see where that takes us over the next couple of days.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I give Cheetah, my cat, 4 mg SQ on an as needed basis. No adverse effects so far. Cheetah weighs about 7lbs, I have only had to use it as a rescue if the Cerenia wasn't enough to keep the nausea at bay