Stage 3 kidney cat & Semintra

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I give my cat Semintra straight up, she vomits within 2 minutes. If I give the Semintra with a small amount of food, it usually stays down, but has come back up twice in the last 2 weeks. It looks like she is having a total purge and I wonder if any has been absorbed at all. According to the literature, the plasma concentration peaks rapidly (i.e. < 30 minutes), so re-dosing is obviously not an option.

(I should mention that she has many other issues -- lymphoma, highly elevated liver values, hyperthyroid, heart murmur, constipation. She is on Pepcid AC  1/4 tab bid, Restoralax 1/4 tsp bid, 2.5 mg cisapride bid, a Vit B complex with iron tincture, and 100 mlx sub-q fluids qd.) 

Semintra is a recently approved drug for us Canucks, and my vet was very excited about it and this was his first prescription of it. Obviously, whether to stay on Semintra or not is a matter that I need to discuss with my vet very soon. Before I do that, since my vet does not have firsthand experience with Semintra, I would like to hear what your experience using Semintra in kidney cats has been.

(btw, I terribly miss living on the west coast -- sea, mountains, ferries, WhiteSpot burgers ...)

Last edited:

dr kris

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Hi Cocheezie!

Ahhh the west coast. At one of the clinics I was at on vancouver island, we would do surgery in the morning, get into a boat at noon, set crab traps in the ocean, head back to the clinic, see our patients, then head back out to see what our catch was. Fresh crab cakes that night. Pitter patter of the most perfect winter rains. Loved it all.

The very first cat i’ve been using Semintra for is my own cat! Just started actually. No vomiting yet. He has IBD, but no lymphoma. Our cats are alike as they are wonders of nature - a multitude of issues yet on they go. I am currently testing him - a trial of the medication, then rechecking his numbers to see how they look. I would consider switching to old faithful benazepril if im not impressed with his response, or if he begins to vomit.

My frustration with Semintra is that the product is out before the published studies. Which would shed more light on potential side effects - like vomiting.

k

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This former Qualicum-ite thanks you for your response. I hope Semintra is beneficial to your cat.