Stage 2 Kidney issues...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, to me she looks absolutely perfect body condition-wise :) and her coat looks great, she's engaged with the activity...what a little doll ๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ˜

PS - White Label says thank you for saying she is a doll and that she looks great. XOXOXO She is the princess of the pack. :-D

*hugs*

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I spoke to the Doctor, did I forget to ask about the poison aspect and her anal glands? Of course I did, but I'll list my questions, not panic and wait until her next visit.

So this is what I learned. First she doesn't think I'm nuts (or so she said ;-) ) - so that's good lol as when it comes to these babies I feel like a nutcase. She was very kind to do what I call "humor the human" on how we arrived at a kidney issue. Bless her heart. They never make me feel crazy for asking. That's always nice.

She's agreed that we should look at her at 6 months. (I feel much better about that.) We'll do Blood, urine, Blood pressure, proteins in the urine and see where the Creatinine is at. Blood pressure makes me laugh a bit as I wonder how it's not going to be really high since she'll be so scared - but I'm sure the Doc's understand and know how to read it off a stress pot kitty.

While everything looks fine from uneducated eyes like mine, her urine was not concentrated and was less than 10 30 that combined with the increased creatinine indicates an issue and well technically the creatinine is in the normal range the two together tell a tale.

I also asked about the high calcium since reading about that totally freaked me out. Probably more than the kidneys did but she educated me on what would have happened if both the calcium and Albumin were both over - that's when we start looking for other badness. Thankfully this is not the case.

She gave me this website IRIS Kidney and I will be reading my little heart out.

She reminded me that staging etc. is very flawed so not to worry.

We got this! I told WL she needs to heal as she is required to be around a long time healthy and happy.

So no food changes yet, water, watch, and 6 months she heads back in to see if there is an upwards trend etc. or stable.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's the princess?
She's doing great, thanks for asking.

I've reduced the bone broth she gets (salt and what not that's probably not good for hydration levels) and replaced with more water and she's taken to that pretty easily. I added another water bowl with fresh daily, so now there are 2 fountains and 3 water bowls.

I feel bad for her right now as Charlie is being such a jerk to her. I'm having to rescue her a lot. She's living in a state of constant hyper vigilance certain times of the day. At least it's not every second of the day, but any amount not good for their stress levels.

Since Charlie is going to the vet on the 9th, I'll be bringing in his UroMAXX as his other vet has seen it, but I don't know if this one has. So I'll ask if she thinks it be good to add for W.L as well. It does say for Kidneys as well, but it makes them pee a lot so of course you don't want to overwork the Kidneys either. Balance.

My hope is that when I bring her back in 6 months she's not declined at all. I'm doing a lot of reading, a lot and the Doc is so right staging is a total crapshoot. I feel bad for the Doctors as that has to suck for them as much it does for us. Having to guess, and work hard at sorting it all out to provide their best guess - gah. It must be frustrating. It's probably worse if the patients caretaker isn't the ball, which. happens a lot too.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WL update (a bit late sorry.)

I took WL back at the 6 months mark and she had her blood pressure done and more bloodwork/urine etc. Looks good. Looks like there may not be a kidney issues but I can see why that was the initial thought. I have to get the notes and re-read to make sure I head the doctor correctly though.

The more I read up about the Kidneys, the more I understand how it's such guess work that I don't envy the poor vets. Minimal to work with and they have to use their best guess a lot unless it's extremely obvious there is an issue...like stage 3 etc. What a challenging job they have. It must be so frustrating for them. I'm glad they errored on the side of a kidney issue than not though.

She does have a LOT of crystals so I'm working though that. No doubt stress related because of her relationship with Charlie. He can be rather mean to her. Slow improvements there though.

With the crystals I do wonder if she had a slight infection and that's what made her bloodwork / urine tests a little screwy last time.