Ssssssssssssnakes!

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Die Büsche der Pandora ("Pandora's Box") has nothing to do with snakes per se! So the thread police may take me off to prison.

But, before that happens, here's what the film is about: A young woman named Lulu (Louise Brooks) earns a living visiting gentlemen of means; one of her clients has a son who is in love with her; he, the son, produces with his father's monetary assistance a stage production in which Lulu stars; the love-sick son sees Lulu in bed backstage with his father; his father insists upon marrying Lulu to lessen inevitable controversy; after the wedding Lulu's former client, now husband, insists she kill herself (as he's unwilling to bear gossip) and produces a pistol; a struggle ensues, the gun goes off, and the elder is dead; Lulu is brought to trial, where her version of events is called into serious doubt; her street friends stage a disturbance at the courthouse during which Lulu is spirited away to safety; she lives on a boat which is a floating gambling-and-sex club; it's raided by police; she gets away in a small boat with a few friends including her dead husband's son (who has slipped into a lifestyle of debauchery); they live frugally on her earnings turning tricks; she becomes attracted to a seemingly-homeless man and invites him to her tenament room; he turns out to be Jack the Ripper; he kills her.

Ta da! Louise Brooks, a gal from the U.S.A. who began her career with the modern-dance Denishawn Dance Company and ended up in Ziegfeld's "Follies" before landing acting jobs, gave a tour de force in this film; yet her individualistic personality grated on U.S.A. film-studio bosses and despite her European cinematic triumphs was, in effect, "blacklisted" in the U.S.A. and never made it big in the "talkies" era despite having a beautiful voice. She was highly intelligent, was a voracious reader (even while on movie sets) and was admired as an excellent writer by subsequent literary critics.

Louise Brooks as Lulu in 'Die Büsche der Pandora'

=^..^=

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Mr. Cat...

Wow what a quick, yet so well told version of this film!
How wonderful for you to update me on this most talented woman. Unfortunately, if you appear or are somewhat eccentric (who's to say who's normal) people get nervous and their fears are so unjustified...She was so gorgeous!!! My guess is that there were plenty of Hollywood stars so envious of her talent and used her eccentricities as a matter of "eight-balling" the woman. I wonder if this film is still available? I'd love to see it.

God Bless Always,

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Die Büsch der Pandora is still available. You ought to be able to find the film via your public library, under its English title Pandora's Box. I did, anyway. Mind, it's a so-called "silent" film!

Louise's nickname amongst her contemporaries was "Hell Cat," which fit her lifestyle quite well. If you'd like to know more about her, check out The Louise Brooks Society at U.R.L. http://www.pandorasbox.com/.

=^..^=