Squirrel tells cat "come no closer"

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Lexi (3 yo) has been enjoying chasing squirrels in my front yard this summer. The squirrels always dash up a tree before she can get a hold. She's been catching but not eating many chipmunks. Yesterday I noticed that she made an effort to dash between the tree and squirrel, as if she'd learned that success might come by cutting off the escape route. It still got away. Fast forward to a few moments ago. This time when she cut him off, Mr squirrel sat up and looked right in her eyes after she halted about 3 feet from him. And he just looked at her, like he was saying, "as if..." Lexi then walked away toward a bird. Maybe she's gotten scratched by another squirrel. There clearly was some trepidation on her part. Fine with me.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 so cute. When the "thrill of the chase" suddenly turns unexpectedly, cats tend to look for another more interesting type of entertainment. I don't think Lexi has given up on squirrels. This one probably surprised her when it stood up to her. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

so cute. When the "thrill of the chase" suddenly turns unexpectedly, cats tend to look for another more interesting type of entertainment. I don't think Lexi has given up on squirrels. This one probably surprised her when it stood up to her. 
Right.

This reminds me of the saying that one should not run from a bear. Rather, stand your ground and try to look big to the bear. In this case, had the squirrel kept running, Lexi likely would have kept chasing. By sitting up and looking as large as possible, the squirrel surprised the cat by standing its ground.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After another chase and halt, it's official. Squirrels are not to be messed with. A few days ago Lexi stalked and then ran right up to Mr Squirrel, to within about 3-4 feet. Then she just stopped cold, put her ears back and head down, and sulked away. Maybe she's tangled with one recently and didn't like the feeling. I tend to they're too twitchy, and the way they face off with her has her spooked. Today one was eating an acorn just feet away, and she just sat there and watched. Only draw back is that with the lack of drive to catch them, she's not running and chasing, exercising, like she was before. Fascinating stuff!