Squirrel Igloo

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
3AB38F46-7CDA-4686-BC9A-7A66C5FAA87C.jpeg
We have had more than forty inches of snow in the last month and everything, including my evergreens are buried in snow. I saw this opening a few weeks back and thought it was a rabbits den. But yesterday I saw a squirrel moving peanuts inside and not coming back out so looks like he has moved in.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I saw this opening a few weeks back and thought it was a rabbits den. But yesterday I saw a squirrel moving peanuts inside and not coming back out so looks like he has moved in.
That is so cute, and what a smart squirrel! I wonder what he or she will do when it melts.;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so cute, and what a smart squirrel! I wonder what he or she will do when it melts.;)
I noticed that the straw in the feral cat house has been pulled out so I suspect he has been using it to build a nice thick nest that will probably keep drier than a tree nest would even as it melts.

I should mention that this nest is right on the edge of the patio where all of the feeders and the heated water dish are located. So it is also as close to meal service as he can get.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neat squirrel igloo :)

There's what I guess is a drainage opening under a first floor balcony that rabbits seem to use as a home or at least a hiding spot. Last summer I noticed chewed up veggies around the opening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
DD00BBA9-5F8C-4410-A463-457EE122DAE2.jpeg
What a different five days make. Mr. squirrel’s igloo is now half melted and I don’t think he realizes I can now see him through the fence. I recognize this little guy from a healing foot injury he has. Probably the reason he chose to nest on the ground and so close to the feeding station.

Picture quality isn’t that great because I was taking it from indoors.

Last edited: