Squinting Cat. Third Eyelid Often Visible.

LeniGish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Kitty, Calvin (large striped tabby with white paws and bib and a white triangle on the bridge of his nose), often squints at me when I first see him. When he looks at me, sometimes the third eyelid is stretched halfway across his eye. This often happens in the first few minutes of our interaction. After that he appears normal and behaves normally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeniGish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Somebody (an old, fearful geezer) once told me that if you see the cat's third eyelid, that means he has worms. Calvin last received 1.5 Drontal pills last Fall. I have had one cat almost die from that pill, and one cat die. I am reluctant to use it again (and would only use any dewormer if I really thought he had worms.)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Third eyelid can show for many reasons. If it is something new, or he has not had a vet check in a while that would be the first thing i would do. Get him a good check up.

Parasites can be a possibility with any cat. There are other dewormers you can use, and the vet can always test for parasites. I use Profender on our guys, maybe twice a year. It is a drop that goes on the back of the neck, i get it from my vet.

Good luck, hopefully he is fine, do let us know what you find out. :crossfingers: