Spring Cleaning: Old Clothes

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you all do about old clothes? I have containers full of clothes. Everytime i have gotten rid of clothes, i end up losing or gaining weight. lol i looked through my clothes last year and couldnt bear to part with the clothing.

Any tips? Im trying to lessen the amount of stuff i have.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
With the holidays coming up, a lot of places will be doing clothing drives. I would start there. If you haven't worn it in 3+ years, why would you start now? That's my thinking process when I clean the closet out.

I too have boxes of clothes from before we moved to Georgia and no longer have anything akin to a winter. I'm not even sure those clothes would even fit me nowadays.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do go through my closet when it gets crowded and pull out the clothes I haven't worn in a couple of years, things that never fit right, or items I grew to dislike. Then I take them to Good Will or let AmVets pick them up. I've whittled it down to clothes I really like, so I reduced my budget for clothes and don't buy many anymore. Styles don't change so fast that you need a new wardrobe every year.

So look at the ones you have and pull out the ones you don't wear anymore. Make your closet or dresser the red line. If it doesn't fit, it needs to go. Don't box the excess up or buy more furniture.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holiday clothing drives or take the clothes to a thrift shop such as Goodwill. If there are any organizations in your area that cater specifically to homeless or low income women and families, they may be in need of clothing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I force myself to choose the ones I really really love but that are too big or too small by limiting myself to one storage tub. That is it. If it is full and I have something else I want to save, something has to get tossed. I use limiting quantities on a lot of things I have in storage.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to hang onto clothes for a long time. When I finally get around to weeding out my closet, I donate them to Planet Aid. They have quite a few bins around here.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a clothes horse. There is probably an 800 number I should call. Anyway between sewing and thrift stores (such a bargain!) it had just gotten out of control. So I started this - when I wear something, it gets folded or hung inside out. I exchange clothes spring and fall. (I store out of season clothes) If I have not worn a piece that season, it gets donated. There are many charities to donate to.

The other thing to do to purge - if you cannot wear it TODAY, donate it! Why store something you can't wear? It takes up room and you can't even see the things you CAN wear. Even if you are storing the things you cannot wear - why? They are just taking up room, obviously bothering you. Just donate.

Also - when you are putting up that season's clothes- even if you wore it, do you LOVE it? If not, donate.

If you then gain or lose weight - go to a thrift store. Hopefully you have at least 1 or 2 nearby that have good quality things. If not, just buy a few nice things that you can wear. There is no law that says you can't wear the same thing more than once.

I speak from experience - it feels GREAT to just have clothes in my closet that I LOVE and that I CAN WEAR!

Also, if you donate a lot, write every item down - it is tax deductuble.

Good luck!