Spraying

MonaMoon19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A lovely stray has come to my yard a few months back. He's extremely friendly and I managed to capture him and get him neutered. He's made himself at home in our house. I have the kitchen window open for my own two kitties because it's still pretty warm. But will have to close them soon and keep my babies inside for the night. He's still spraying inside the house. Obviously the poor baby doesn't know how top use the litter box. I'm renting and can't afford to have the place smelling of cat pee. How can I get him to use the litter box? Don't want to leave him outside when it's cold 😢

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Something you could try is an enzymatic cleaner so that the odor isn't as apparent to him. Keep him enclosed in a room with litterboxes and tarps/unscented puppy pee pads covering things, and in at least one of the boxes put some soil from outside, just until he gets the hang of things. You may always need to have the boxes inside oversize storage tubs so that his spray doesn't get on the walls.

I Have More Trust Issues Than This Feral..

Also, try a litter called Cat Attract.

There might be some other ideas here in these;

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M MonaMoon19 : hello and welcome to TCS. Thanks for giving the stray a home, and getting him neutered. How long ago was he neutered? And do you know his approximate age? Neutering a cat when it's young, and hasn't yet started to spray, will generally prevent it from starting. But an older cat who is already spraying, won't always stop after being neutered. The stinky tom cat pee will lessen, though, once the hormones are out of his system. That can take a few weeks. But, of course, you still don't want cat urine around your home.

Spraying, btw, is different from peeing outside of the litter box, as spraying is a territorial thing. As for getting him to use the litter box, as Furballsmom Furballsmom recommended, try Cat Attract litter. Dr. Elsey’s Cat Attract™ Cat Litter - the litter cats love™

If he's just never used a litter box before, you could also try putting leaves or unfertilized gardening soil on top of the litter, which might help him realize the purpose of the litter box.

To clean the urine from your apartment, here are some TCS articles with tips:
How to Successfully Combat Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Remove Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles