Spraying outside litter box

LAQ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 15 year old Thomas has always been the most well-behaved cat you can imagine. Just a couple of months ago, he started urinating outside his box. I think he might have a little arthritis, so I got him a large, low edged box so he wouldn't have to step up or turn around much. Not much improvement. Then I started keeping a closer eye on him. I discovered that what he's doing is stepping into the box, then spraying outside it. (Tail straight up, twitching.) I've taken him to the vet. Urinalysis shows absolutely nothing wrong. There have been no changes in our home. His life is exactly the same as it's always been. And other than that, his behavior hasn't changed at all - still very social, appetite is fine, playful and loving as ever. I've put puppy house training pads around the box to aid in clean up, but does anyone have any insight into what might be going on with him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It still could be arthritis related - maybe he is uncomfortable squatting or getting into the position he once used for peeing. What is going on with his pooping? Is he standing or squatting for that?

X-rays could identify if there is arthritis involved. Supplements like glucosamine and/or chondroitin are given to help alleviate some of the issues associated with arthritis, but can take a few weeks to kick in. You can get them OTC - brands like Cosequin or Dasuquin, for example.

If not arthritis, it still could be urinary tract related, so you might want to ask the vet about tests that could be run to see if some other urinary related issue is going on. It is certainly a possibility with a cat that age!!

Some folks use a huge/tall box with a low entry point cut out and place a litter box inside that requires the cat to turn away from the low entry point before entering the actual litter box. It won't stop clean up, but might confine it to the inside of the huge box. I would try that if nothing medically can be found.

Hopefully other members will come along soon and have some additional thoughts/ideas for you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LAQ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much.