Spraying - Netured 10 year old Male

dmrdm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 10 year old male that started to spray after we acquired a couple of replacement cats for two 17 year old ones that died within a year of each other. The cats all get along fine now, but the 10 year old still sprays. We have tried drugs, the Feleway Spray and about everything else.

He's been spraying for a couple of years now. Is there a Cat Whisper out there that has a miracle solution?

He is a great cat otherwise. Fun, comical - cute.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dmrdm, I have to second your question. Mine is only 8 though. He sprays everthing, including the feliway diffuser.

Otherwise he is the sweetest loving boy. Just a pee-pee monster.

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! Most don't know that Feliway only works in 86% of cats....so perhaps if we tried using his own scent that might do the trick. First throughly clean all areas where he has sprayed with an enzymatic cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle. Then take a clean towel of yours and dampen it a bit with some water, then playfully rub your 10 year old kitty down with it, make sure to get expecially good around the face, where his scent glads are. The rub the towel on the areas he has been marking. Cats mark areas they feel comfortable around with their face and body scents, areas they feel threatened-they spray. So, if you trick him into thinking he already marked these areas with his comforting scents, then he should not feel the need to mark it by spraying. I actually have a funny story as to how I figured this out. My neutered male cat (8 years old) Simon, used to spray mark EVERYTHING new that made it into my house.....my guest's luggage and jackets, their sleeping bags, even my bed sheets right after I washed them. I basically discovered that if his scent was not on it, he would spray it on......so as an experiement one day when I returned from the laundry mat with fresh sheets I picked Simon up, brought him into the bedroom and placed him in the middle of the bed and before he could raise his little tail to spray I rolled him over and playfully rolled him up in the sheets like a baby and massaged him with the sheets and loved on him.....of course he was hating every minute of this. But after our short play session, I unwrapped him and continued to make the bed.....to my surprise he sniffed the sheets, confirmed in his little kitty mind they were all his and already had his scent and trotted off the bed. To this day, no more spraying. So the trick is to first get his scent on everything, his facial scent that is.....not the urine.
Even nowdays when guests come to my home, the first thing I do is roll Simon around on top of their luggage and towel him down then wipe anything else off my guests may have brought in....I know it sounds a bit crazy and yes my company arleady knows I'm crazy.....but it works. So, give this a try and I hope for the best for you all!

Good Luck,
Kerry

Originally Posted by dmrdm

We have a 10 year old male that started to spray after we acquired a couple of replacement cats for two 17 year old ones that died within a year of each other. The cats all get along fine now, but the 10 year old still sprays. We have tried drugs, the Feleway Spray and about everything else.

He's been spraying for a couple of years now. Is there a Cat Whisper out there that has a miracle solution?

He is a great cat otherwise. Fun, comical - cute.