Spraying cat

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, what can i use to prevent a male cat from spraying inside?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you tell us more about your situation? Is this an indoor/outdoor cat? Is there a pattern to when he is spraying? Is this cat neutered? How old is he, and does he eat/drink well? Does he use a litter box at all? What type of environment is he in - as in outdoor strays/cats that enter your property and bother him which can cause territorial aggression resulting in spraying?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, also wondering if he lives with other cats/pets/kids?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is a she😬 i got her from her previous owners last night and she has not sprayed in our house yet. She was living with another cat and two dogs so i also thought it might be that. But now she does not want to go to the bathroom🥺and i dont know how to help het

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the cat has just joined your household, then not using a litterbox at first is not terribly unusual. Just like she may not be eating/drinking any or much at this point either. Please consider following the tips in this TCS article to help this cat adapt to her new home. How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

Were you able to bring with her a litterbox that she was used to from her old home? That might help encourage her to use it in your home. It would be nice if some of her belongings came with her too - perhaps a food/water dish that was her own, blankets/towels/bedding/toys/etc.

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will definately take a look at that. No, she was an outside cat but she always tried getting in and she doesnt seem to want to go outside for right now. The only thing i brought that was hers is a food container with her food. She is very sweet and she has a good appeteite but i have not seen her drink much.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she was used to going outside, you might have to add another litterbox, or a low sided cardboard box lid, with soil/leaves/etc. to mimic her outdoor 'litter box'. Hopefully, she will use the litterbox filled with litter instead, but this could be done just as a backup for now.

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I added one with some dirt but i will try adding some leaves and putting in a box. Thank you very much

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I added one with some dirt but i will try adding some leaves and putting in a box. Thank you very much
If that doesn't work, try the cardboard box lid - a fairly large one if you can - it would be at least a little bit less 'unusual' than a litterbox would be. You can probably get free box lids from most any store so you can easily replace one when needed - assuming she uses them!!!

Danel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She ended up using the regular litter box with the dirt in it. Haha weirdly enough i kinda did😂😂😂

she had a really good nap after that
23D47E00-2693-4EB9-94B7-2CD40B21FA40.jpeg
23D47E00-2693-4EB9-94B7-2CD40B21FA40.jpeg
71CE9865-0A14-4A02-A9D4-D5FC1D4B30C7.jpeg
0D59649C-3CA9-4989-A341-C8EC0C4F78E8.jpeg