Spraying Cat targets one family member

Sammygirl95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, this is thread is going to be kind of long, but I want to give the full backstory to hopefully get a better answer to my questions. Almost 3 years ago now, one of our cats passed away and we adopted our male cat, Noel, from our local humane society. When we first got him, he was recovering from an upper respiratory infection and had two ear infections we were treating him for. Due to his illnesses, he had to be quarantined from our older cat, Mikayla, until he recovered.
Due to being quarantined in either mine or my mom’s room, he developed separation anxiety from my mom and I. Whenever we left to go to work or school, he would pee on our beds. Now, he wasn’t spraying our beds, he was squatting and peeing (which I was told was easier to stop). Eventually, he recovered, and we started letting him roam the house when we were gone but the peeing continued. We put him on anti-anxiety meds, which helped somewhat, but my mom and I took it upon ourselves to train him that he wasn’t allowed in our rooms if he peed outside of the litter box. It took about a year, but eventually he learned and no longer pees on either of our beds or anything else in our rooms.
Recently (as in the last year or so), he has been peeing on my sister’s bed. Our other cat spends most of her time in my sister’s room, so at first we assumed it was just him marking his territory and that’s definitely what it was, for awhile. At first, he was peeing on anything that our other cat laid on, not just stuff in my sister’s room. He was peeing on Mikayla’s basket that she sleeps in and all of her blankets all over the house. However, in the last six months, he has started spraying on my sister’s bed and any of her clothing that she leaves lying around. Basically, if it has my sister’s scent on it, he’ll spray it.
My sister’s relationship with Noel is different than mine or my mom’s. My sister, Erika, doesn’t play with her or give him attention or love the way that my mom and I do. It’s very clear to anyone who comes over, just by the way she talks about the cats, that she clearly favors and loves Mikayla more. She’s constantly yelling at Noel and calling him names. We’ve tried telling my sister that unless she catches him in the act of spraying on her bed, that she can’t punish him because if it’s like 2 hours or so after he’s done it, he doesn’t know why he’s being punished. However, that doesn’t stop her from screaming at him and spending days afterwards ignoring him or calling him names (she’ll call him a*****e or brat or little d**k constantly).
Now, I have a few questions about his behavior. Does he feel the animosity that my sister has for him? Could that be why he’s spraying her bed and stuff? Is it because he’s trying to spray his scent over her’s or is this his way of saying eff you to her because of the way she treats him?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. We’ve tried telling my sister to try the method we did to get him to stop peeing on her bed, but she refuses. What I’m really looking for is any advice on making Noel feel more comfortable around my sister and making sure he’s okay.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don’t do revenge so he’s not being spiteful. He can feel the bad vibes though. Sister definitely needs to find some other way to deal with this. Perhaps taking him in her arms and comforting him instead? I understand she may not feel like offering him sympathy but he may need it. Besides marking territory, establishing boundaries and trying to scare off predators, he could be indicating feeling bad or hurting in some way. First thing, get him checked for a UTI as that is a common problem. Stress fro being yelled out will only make things worse. If he is sick or has UTI, stress can actually cause him to become much sicker. I understand the frustration your sister encounters but if you explain she could make him sick or sicker, surely she will care enough to restrain the yelling. That is considered verbally abusive with children and many consider it so with animals. They cannot defend themselves against that. Whether Noel is insecure, scared or sick, yelling will not fix things or make your sister feel any better. I advise her to keep her clothes put away and maybe shut her door for now. Let things between them cool down. Maybe put a Felliway diffuser in her room and near it. For Noel, get him checked and if his health is not currently at issue, you must reassure him so it does not turn into a health problem. If she yells, pick him up and tell him he’s okay. Give him as much attention and calm time as possible. Run interference as much as possible and do what you can to avoid having him in trouble with your sister. Maybe your Mom can intervene too. I’m so sorry you are all under this stress. Rough on everyone. Hang in there and everyone here can try to help you work through this. You did a great job working it out before and I’m sure you’ll get through it again. Please do post back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sammygirl95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats don’t do revenge so he’s not being spiteful. He can feel the bad vibes though. Sister definitely needs to find some other way to deal with this. Perhaps taking him in her arms and comforting him instead? I understand she may not feel like offering him sympathy but he may need it. Besides marking territory, establishing boundaries and trying to scare off predators, he could be indicating feeling bad or hurting in some way. First thing, get him checked for a UTI as that is a common problem. Stress fro being yelled out will only make things worse. If he is sick or has UTI, stress can actually cause him to become much sicker. I understand the frustration your sister encounters but if you explain she could make him sick or sicker, surely she will care enough to restrain the yelling. That is considered verbally abusive with children and many consider it so with animals. They cannot defend themselves against that. Whether Noel is insecure, scared or sick, yelling will not fix things or make your sister feel any better. I advise her to keep her clothes put away and maybe shut her door for now. Let things between them cool down. Maybe put a Felliway diffuser in her room and near it. For Noel, get him checked and if his health is not currently at issue, you must reassure him so it does not turn into a health problem. If she yells, pick him up and tell him he’s okay. Give him as much attention and calm time as possible. Run interference as much as possible and do what you can to avoid having him in trouble with your sister. Maybe your Mom can intervene too. I’m so sorry you are all under this stress. Rough on everyone. Hang in there and everyone here can try to help you work through this. You did a great job working it out before and I’m sure you’ll get through it again. Please do post back.
Thank you so much. I’ll definitely take him to the vet to get him checked out. My sister is hopefully moving out in a few months so the yelling won’t be much of a problem but I’ll try to let her know to be gentle with him and try loving on him.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a cat once that was about 3 years old and wasn't fixed. He was an indoor outdoor cat and had never sprayed in the house. At the time I had a room mate and one Christmas he decided he wanted a live tree. I had no idea he was doing it. He brought the tree in and left it in the basement. My cat sprayed his jacket, the couch that he always laid on and I think the tree too. Something about that tree triggered it. I immediately had him fixed and he stopped. It could be a scent that your sister is bringing from outside the house that is triggering it. From what you've said about the history of your cat it may not be the case but, just throwing it out there to think about. I would check for a UTI for sure as Jcatbird Jcatbird suggested.

Sammygirl95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might be right! My sister recently started working at starbucks and that’s right around when he started spraying her stuff every other day. He might not like the scent of the coffee when she comes home.

Sammygirl95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
Just wanted to post an update! My sister started keeping her doors closed when she wasn’t in the room and that helped a great deal however he did pee on a few of her things on the floor. My sister officially moved to Colorado a few days ago and so far everything has been going good. I don’t want to jinx it but so far we’ve left her old bedroom doors open all day and he’s not sprayed on anything. We did deep clean the room after she left to get rid of the coffee smell and that seems to be helping. He’s also getting along with our other cat better so far. I know it’s only been a few days but things are looking good so far. I feel as though they might get stressed in a few weeks when they realize she isn’t coming home. Thank you guys for all of your advice! I’ll keep you all updated if anything changes!

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, this is thread is going to be kind of long, but I want to give the full backstory to hopefully get a better answer to my questions. Almost 3 years ago now, one of our cats passed away and we adopted our male cat, Noel, from our local humane society. When we first got him, he was recovering from an upper respiratory infection and had two ear infections we were treating him for. Due to his illnesses, he had to be quarantined from our older cat, Mikayla, until he recovered.
Due to being quarantined in either mine or my mom’s room, he developed separation anxiety from my mom and I. Whenever we left to go to work or school, he would pee on our beds. Now, he wasn’t spraying our beds, he was squatting and peeing (which I was told was easier to stop). Eventually, he recovered, and we started letting him roam the house when we were gone but the peeing continued. We put him on anti-anxiety meds, which helped somewhat, but my mom and I took it upon ourselves to train him that he wasn’t allowed in our rooms if he peed outside of the litter box. It took about a year, but eventually he learned and no longer pees on either of our beds or anything else in our rooms.
Recently (as in the last year or so), he has been peeing on my sister’s bed. Our other cat spends most of her time in my sister’s room, so at first we assumed it was just him marking his territory and that’s definitely what it was, for awhile. At first, he was peeing on anything that our other cat laid on, not just stuff in my sister’s room. He was peeing on Mikayla’s basket that she sleeps in and all of her blankets all over the house. However, in the last six months, he has started spraying on my sister’s bed and any of her clothing that she leaves lying around. Basically, if it has my sister’s scent on it, he’ll spray it.
My sister’s relationship with Noel is different than mine or my mom’s. My sister, Erika, doesn’t play with her or give him attention or love the way that my mom and I do. It’s very clear to anyone who comes over, just by the way she talks about the cats, that she clearly favors and loves Mikayla more. She’s constantly yelling at Noel and calling him names. We’ve tried telling my sister that unless she catches him in the act of spraying on her bed, that she can’t punish him because if it’s like 2 hours or so after he’s done it, he doesn’t know why he’s being punished. However, that doesn’t stop her from screaming at him and spending days afterwards ignoring him or calling him names (she’ll call him a*****e or brat or little d**k constantly).
Now, I have a few questions about his behavior. Does he feel the animosity that my sister has for him? Could that be why he’s spraying her bed and stuff? Is it because he’s trying to spray his scent over her’s or is this his way of saying eff you to her because of the way she treats him?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. We’ve tried telling my sister to try the method we did to get him to stop peeing on her bed, but she refuses. What I’m really looking for is any advice on making Noel feel more comfortable around my sister and making sure he’s okay.
I would say he doesnt like the perfume or hair spray or detergent on her bedding and clothes. So he might want to mark it with a smell he does like. Does she use a lot of products that have strong scents? Also he might not like his litter type, or his box isnt clean so he choose to eliminate in her area. Good luck!