Spraying Cat & Baby On The Way!

DanielBlack123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I’m Hoping somone can help me.

I have two cats around 16 years old (ish) Podge and Timmy, I inherited them both from my nan who sadly passed away 5 few years ago. Timmy was her favourite and followed her everywhere.

It took both cats some time to adjust after my nan passed away, she would spend all day at home with them. Often falling asleep with Timmy.

Currently they spend a good chunk of the working day at home by themselves, though receive lots of attention when myself and girlfriend get back each afternoon.

At the start of this year Timmy has started spraying on any vertical surface he can find. Coming home to the awful smell and then having to track down the spot he has sprayed quickly became very annoying to say the least. After a hell of a lot of cleaning, restricting both of their movements around the house and introducing a litter tray the spraying stopped! Thank God!!!!

We are now expecting our first baby within a matter of weeks and are also hoping to move in to our new house within the next two months.

We have just had the baby’s cot delivered (still boxed) and placed up against a wall, guess what Timmy does…… Sprays all over the box.

We had thought that all of this was behind us, but are now worried about how he is going to act around the baby. Last thing we would want is for him to spray the baby!

Timmy is a pleasant cat that wants to sleep on your lap all day long, has no known medical issues and has gotten on well with Podge for over 10 years.

I honestly don’t know what to do with him, and feel like I can’t just give him to a shelter. He’s too old and will simply be put down, not to mention he was my nans prize and joy…..She will haunt me forever :$ lol.

All other family member have lots of cats and I doubt couldn’t take another, plus trying to fit in with a new family of cats would stress him too much.

Can anyone give some advice, I feel this is a behavioural issue but don’t know how to go about treating it??

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he getting some canned food every day? Could he possibly have a UTI? He would probably need antibiotics from the vet for that. When he pees in the litter box, is it tiny amounts or regular big clumps?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, cats react to changes in their environment, and older cats, like their human counterparts, dislike change even more than young ones. I'd get that crib set up asap, and be prepared to clean it a few times as the Timmy adjusts to this change. I have seen time and again, cats spraying when there is a pregnant woman in the house. I personally think that they are reacting to her changing scent due to her own hormonal changes, and this generally settles down once the baby is here and her scent begins to go back to normal.

You mention that you are also moving. This may trigger another round of territorial marking. To forestall the worst of it,
try this: purchase a cheap flat sheet, single size is fine, or use an old one. Spread it where the cats like to nap and allow them to shed all over it. Then, when the move is imminent, cut the sheet into 18" squares, pack it carefully in plastic bags in your "NEED IMMEDIATELY" box, and when you get to the new home, place a square in each room of the house. That way, when your cats go from room to room, they will find their own scent already there, and feel less need to mark this new, unfamiliar territory.

I'm also including links to a few of our articles that may help you with this.
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered!
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home (this works with old cat/new home)

I know it's a lot, but somewhere in there you will find MOST of what you need to deal with this! There are several others, such as how to properly clean urine and destroy odor, so feel free to browse the articles on cat care and cat behavior!