Spot's fur type

Bowling

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Spot, who is now nearly 11 months old, has gorgeous long hair, but I am wondering what type it is. My other cat Coco has very short, coarser fur, but Spot's is very silky and not so dense. Does this mean Spot does not have an undercoat. Also do longer haired cats originate from colder countries?

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Spot is adorable! I think she’s a longhair, because of her plumed tail. She is what some may denote as a “mediumhair”, but, genetically, cats are either short- or longhaired, and I think that Spot is the latter.

As to where longhaired cats come from, that is an interesting question, and, in fact, there isn’t general consensus about exactly how longhair cats came to be, and about where they first arose. I would recommend checking out this article, that explains the different theories better than I ever could: LONGHAIRED CATS - GENERAL INFORMATION

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a Domestic longhair. At 11 months old she is still growing out her coat. Honestly I wonder if it gets longer as they age.. Fynn's first pic is January 2020, he was over a year old. The next pics are in May 2021 at over 2 years old. He really poofed out, more so than his winter coat at one year of age. Though he's indoor only but still my house is always cold lol.

2020-01-21 11.26.30.jpg
20210517_172529.jpg
20210517_153806.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a Domestic longhair. At 11 months old she is still growing out her coat. Honestly I wonder if it gets longer as they age.. Fynn's first pic is January 2020, he was over a year old. The next pics are in May 2021 at over 2 years old. He really poofed out, more so than his winter coat at one year of age. Though he's indoor only but still my house is always cold lol.

View attachment 381624View attachment 381625View attachment 381626
Gorgeous boy! FWIW some cats will take a while to fully mature their coat, though that’s less common with random bred cats. My Juma is already 2 years old (and 13.5 lbs), but she’s still waltzing around in her kitten coat. If she continues to be like her daddy, her adult coat should come in some time next year. She also might reach that 14lbs she’s been stubbornly trying to grow to for some reason 😂