Spot the (part) Feral

snuffy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that is I think about maybe 12 yrs. old. She was a feral and it took me 6 yrs to get her to come in the house on her own. She has been sickly lately, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I know she needs to see a vet and I intend to bring her. She is not grooming at all like she used to and now she is dragging her butt around once in a while, she uses the litter box ok, and she is eating ok but drinking alot of water. She had a cyst on the side of her face that she popped and that is now healed. Her eye on the side of the face that had the cyst is red and kind of bulging. She pants and her tongue is always hanging out. She sneezes a lot but doesn't seem to cough much. In short she looks really sad. She is getting around ok. I feel really bad for her. I know it would be a really big stress just to get her into a carrier and to a vet and I really don't want to stress her anymore than I have to, but I guess she will have to go see him. At her age would it be feaseable to put her through all the tests? Or should I just let her go.

newt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she needs to see a vet yesterday. She had an abscess and it burst but probably did not drain completely and she has an infection. That is why she is panting. The infection has probably invaded her eye and/or sinuses and could go to her brain. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but it sounds like she quite a sick kitty and needs to see a vet asap! If you just let her go, she will have a painful death. Please, if you do nothing else and can't afford to pay for her care, please take her and have her diagnosed so you can decide what is the kindest thing to do next. Can you take her tomorrow?

Newt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuffy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know that she is sick but I have to wait until I have the money and can get an appointment. Vets are as bad a people drs. now a days. Rest assured I will get her to a vet asap!!

Thanks for the input though

newt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please, please take her. I know it's difficult. She is suffering if she is breathing through her mouth and her eye is bulging. She has to be in a lot of pain. If the vet charges extra for antibiotics, ask for a prescription and get it filled at a pharmacy that has a program that offers the $10 or $15 program for generics. The vet shouldn't be offended if you ask if it would be less expensive to get the prescription filled at a pharmacy. I call the different ones and ask how much it costs. You can also use pill pockets to give them to her.

Here's a list of low cost vets in Conn. I hope there is one near you that you can call to see what it would cost for a visit. If you or a member of your family are disabled, senior or low income, let them know and they might be able to offer even more of a discount.
http://itchmoforums.com/connecticut/...e-t9983.0.html

Please keep us updated as I'd love to know how she's doing.

Hugs,
Newt

snuffy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am taking her this morning to an emergency animal hospital to see what they can do for her. She is looking a lot better today but I am taking her anyways. The swelling has gone down but she is still open mouth breathing, and her eye doesn't look right. I'm hopng they can handle her ok and not stress her out more than she will be.
When she goes out she is like she always was before she got sick, she prances down the sidewalk with a lot of life and seems happy. I have no trouble getting her back in as she scratches on the door to come in. Guess she has learned that it is better to be in than out.
I am wondering if her drooling isn't from the fact that she has no teeth left. She will not like it when I have to trap her into a carrier as she is still feral and won't let me touch her. I'll figure out something to get her there. Thanks for your help.

newt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably too late for this, but try the ET thing to get her into the carrier. Put the carrier on the floor and cover the back and sides with a dark towel so she can't see out. Put a few dabs of her favorite food or treat just outside the carrier in a line to the door, a dab just in the doorway and then a dab just inside the carrier and then a larger dab in the back of the carrier. Now stand behind the carrier and when she goes all the way in to eat what is in the back of the carrier, close the door. You can use the towel to keep the carrier covered so she won't get so stressed on the trip to the vet.

Please let us know what happens.
Newt

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is Spot doing today? Poor thing. That must be horrible for the both of you.
Even though it's serious it doesn't necessarily have to be anything complicated. It's possible that it's "just" an infection that can be cured with antibiotics and supportive treatment.
If she can be treated with Amoxicillin you can ask for a paper prescription and have it filled at a Meijer store for free. I've gotten a bunch of Amoxicillin there for my guys. Walmart and some other stores also have very low cost antibiotics.

I just wanted to add that it's probably best not to let her out for a while until she's fully recovered. When cats are feeling really bad they tend to find a good place to hide and stay there and if that happens you won't be able to find her which can be detrimental.

I hope she's doing better today. Please let us know.

newt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ziggy'smom

How is Spot doing today? Poor thing. That must be horrible for the both of you.
Even though it's serious it doesn't necessarily have to be anything complicated. It's possible that it's "just" an infection that can be cured with antibiotics and supportive treatment.
If she can be treated with Amoxicillin you can ask for a paper prescription and have it filled at a Meijer store for free. I've gotten a bunch of Amoxicillin there for my guys. Walmart and some other stores also have very low cost antibiotics.

I just wanted to add that it's probably best not to let her out for a while until she's fully recovered. When cats are feeling really bad they tend to find a good place to hide and stay there and if that happens you won't be able to find her which can be detrimental.

I hope she's doing better today. Please let us know.
Great advice! I second that.
Can't wait to hear what the vet said.

Newt

snuffy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took her to the vets yesterday. Unfortunately she is no longer with me. They said she had a tumor behind her eye. For $500 to $1000 they would remove the eye, but they thought she had some terminal diseases and they thought it would be best to put her down. It broke my heart but I knew that was what was best for her. After all it's the quality of life not the quantity. I got to hold her as they gave her the shot and that was the first time I ever got to hold her much less touch her.
Thank you for all your help.

newt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read that Spot was that ill, but that was my suspicion. I am glad you got to give her so much comfort and hold her after all these years. I hope you are comforted by the knowledge that you did so much for her. You did the right thing and I agree with you.
Sadly I am now faced with the same decision with one of my beloved dogs named Newt! It's a day by day decision of quality of life and she is guiding me.

If you would like to light a candle for Spot you can go here.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?l=eng

Hugs,
Newt