Spooky could use a few vibes....

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great that she's eating!  Red meats smell different to me than poultry for example.  Raw chicken has an odor that I don't care for.  Turkey is even stronger, and Cornish hen is just disgusting to me.  But raw beef doesn't faze me. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Red meats have been her favorite for quite some time - though she also loves pork (which I guess is technically a red meat). Odd though - I supplement taurine for her, because she won't eat hearts. She ate an entire meal of them a couple of weeks ago - but not a bite since. :dk: (I always put a bite in whatever food I feed her when the others are having hearts as a meal). So odd!

I sneak chicken into her red meats. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm..... the vet hasn't called to say her Leukeran is in.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Once again I am getting caught up on this thread, and I just can't believe another of your babies has Lymphoma
.  I am so sorry to hear this.  But at least you've been thru it before and know the ropes and what to look for, how to handle what comes up, etc., so that's definitely an advantage (trying to find any bright spot here
)   AND, of course, it was caught early, which is always advantageous

Hopefully the Leukeran will get here any minute and she can start her treatments and get on the road to recovery.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It'll be here tomorrow. :)

This is small cell, so it's less agressive vs. Lazlo's large cell. So that's good, too! Of course, as Lazlo's sister, we now have to worry about Sheldon and Tuxedo. :(

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Picked up her leukeran today. She only gets it once every-other-day, so I think I'll start it in the morning.

In the meantime, she seems completely fine now! I guess I'm glad she went through whatever-that-was so that we did all the diagnostics to find this. But she's playing, demanding pets, and has an incredible appetite. And we didn't start the pred until just now. :lol3: So I don't know what the pred OR the leukeran will do. But I'm armed with cypro and cerenia....

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it works!  Speaking of, do they biopsy again later or just blood work or what to tell if it's in remission?

I'm glad she's playing and feeling well.  I hope she continues to do so!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only way to know for sure would be another biopsy. But generally, it's just determined by measuring the thickness of the intestinal wall via ultrasound. Kind of like how we determined Laz was in remission because there was no mass to measure. :heart2: :vibes: :cross: and knock wood. ;)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the meantime, she seems completely fine now! I guess I'm glad she went through whatever-that-was so that we did all the diagnostics to find this. But she's playing, demanding pets, and has an incredible appetite. And we didn't start the pred until just now.
So I don't know what the pred OR the leukeran will do. But I'm armed with cypro and cerenia....
Glad to hear she's in good spirits! 

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there. I meant to check in with you earlier to ask what the vet said about Spooky's biopsy. I hope you got good news. Mr. Grimsby, Bertha and I still have our paws crossed for you guys.

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the meantime, she seems completely fine now! I guess I'm glad she went through whatever-that-was so that we did all the diagnostics to find this. But she's playing, demanding pets, and has an incredible appetite. And we didn't start the pred until just now. :lol3: So I don't know what the pred OR the leukeran will do. But I'm armed with cypro and cerenia....
:hugs: I, too, am glad that she showed signs of something (odd as that sounds ;)) so that you were able to diagnose her lymphoma and begin treatment, then. :hugs: SO :D :D to hear that she is feeling better these days as opposed to a week ago and I do hope/pray that this will continue now that she is starting the Leukeran. :cross: :cross: It sounds as though you are very well stocked and ready to load :lol3: other meds if needed.

I am sure she knows now that she is not alone with this cancer anymore and MUST feel better (and relieved) to have you on her side, in her corner - fighting. :soldier: :nod: Just lots and lots of kisses and scritches to dear Spooky from me. :kiss: :rub: :heart3: :cross: :vibes: :vibes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for asking! :hugs:

Spooky is not having any problems with the leukeran, and the 10mg of pred daily is making her ravenous. :lol3: She's not aggressive on steroids like Tuxedo was, but she is a bit more snippy than usual with the other cats. ;)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great, great news for Spooky!!! And, for momma too. :hugs: :rub: :clap:

:cross: and :vibes: that she will continue to feel good AND not get too "fat" begging for treats :lol3: :hugs: !!!!!!!!!! :cross: :vibes: :cross: :vibes: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news!  I'm so glad she's eating, I think that's so important.

lcat4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@LDG   Hey Laurie,  I was wondering how Spooky is doing and how she is tolerating her new meds?  My Lewis (17 years) was just diagnosed with small cell lymphoma and is starting a similar treatment.  He's taking Budesonide instead of the Pred and will start leukeran in a couple weeks.  He's been on antibiotics and the internist wants his stomach to settle, once that med stops, before starting the leukeran.

I'm curious what else you are doing for her.  I know your general food protocol, but are you also giving enzymes or anything else to soothe the GI?

Thanks for your insight.  I hope she's a happy camper!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I'm so sorry L lcat4 . :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: That's a diagnosis no one wants. :(

Spooky continues to do really well. I actually don't give her digestive enzymes, she doesn't seem to tolerate any - and that's not new. They make her throw up. :dk: I do give her the Nexabiotic probiotic, 1/2 a capsule 2x a day. She continues to do really well! This high dose of pred makes her ravenous and a bit more snippy with the other cats than usual.

It does see that despite the appetite and extra food, she feels bonier than she did or should. I'm taking her in for bloodwork again (making sure no anemia), and I'm going to ask the vet about B12 shots. I know malabsorption is a problem for IBD and GI cancer kitties - and not being able to take digestive enzymes, I think she may need the shots. We never did run the folate/cobalamin test.

But other than the probiotic, I'm not giving her anything special. Anti-oxidants interfere with the efficacy of the chemo, so...

Oh! Because she can't tolerate digestive enzymes, I am using the Nutricology pancreas (porcine) for her. I sprinkle on one capsule each meal. And to help support her immune system function, I give her a capsule of the thymus every other day, sprinkled on one of her meals.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for Lewis!