Spooky could use a few vibes....

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of Spooky and her homecoming today!!!!! :rub: :vibes: And that she is bright eyed and not in any discomfort either. Yes, the waiting for results is nerve wracking ! But, for Spooks, no worries on her part for the wait. She will be glad to get home!!!!! :hugs: :vibes: :heart3:

Last edited:

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are all waiting with you to hear Spooky's test results. Waiting is always the worst - once you have the news, either good or bad, you can make a move. Until then, you and Spooky are in limbo. We hope he's feeling okay and that he's comfortable. We're glad he's home. Good luck. Keep us posted!

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy, Mr. Grimsby and Bertha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
*****SPOOKY'S BIOPSY RESULTS ARE BACK****** and she has intestinal lymphoma. :bawling: It's "fairly low grade" so they are calling it small cell. She will start leukeran and pred. As her clinical symptoms only started within the past few weeks, the thinking is we caught it early. Don't know if that means a better prognosis or not, but....

And she's SO happy to be home, but not eating. I'm to give her cypro. Gary took the phone away from me, and is blabbing with the vet, so I don't know when we start the Leukeran - no idea if they have it there or not.

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear the results aren't good, I hope Spook starts to feel better (or well, the best she can) as soon as possible! I'm sure being back at home will help. 

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hoping the treatment works, and that was caught early enough. Time to take a deep breath, then keep doing your best.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:eek:hno: OH sweetie......... I can't believe that she has cancer BUT BUT - low grade is very good and I am betting that Spooky will have much more time with you and Gary. I know I have said this before and am a broken record but it needs saying. Seriously, Laurie, the life you have given Spooky and all of those babies is far past wonderful and grand. All those years back when you took them in as feral strays in the park. They would NOT have had anywhere the beautiful life they have now if not for you and Gary. I love the life you have given those kitties.

It is so lousy when they get up there in years and things start to go wrong with their health. I think at this point in dealing with elderly pets too, that I have come to expect it and try to prepare for it. Some are healthy till the day they have to go and other's get quite ill, but live on through their illness with good medical care and other's just pass way too quickly with an illness. I am hoping that for Spooky, this WAS caught early, and that the medication will help her and give her much more time to be with ALL of you. :cross: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :cross: :cross:

I do hope that she will eat today and soon start to feel better. Just know, as always, you, Gary and Spooky will be in my thoughts, prayers and close to my heart during this difficult time of adjusting to her diagnosis and getting her on track with the medications. :heart3: :sun: :hugs: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

AND - CHOCOLATE for dinner. WHAT a great, great idea and I think I may join in on the chocolate party tonight. :lol3: Add in some peanut M&Ms while you are at it. :bigthumb: :yummy: :hugs:

OH adding in. I am actually glad, anyway, that you did not have to wait over a week for the results. I know this was a shock - but now you can deal with it, manage it, make a plan right away and move on to what needs addressing to try to help Spooky. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Lauren, I'm so glad we didn't have to wait!!!

And she's eating. 1/4 - 3/8ths of an ounce at a time, but I'm offering that to her every hour or so. :)

For dinner we picked up sweets from the local gourmet shop. We had individual-sized chocolate lava cake, we shared a cheesecake brownie, and there is strawberry-rhubarb pie for dessert. :)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about the diagnosis. :( I'm glad the biopsy results came back quickly so that you can start treatment. Sending lots of vibes that she responds positively and continues to eat. Spooky is in good hands. :hugs:

:vibes:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear the diagnosis. :( The bright side is that it's been caught at an early stage, and she may respond to treatment as well as Lazlo did. :cross:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Lauren, I'm so glad we didn't have to wait!!!

And she's eating. 1/4 - 3/8ths of an ounce at a time, but I'm offering that to her every hour or so. :)

For dinner we picked up sweets from the local gourmet shop. We had individual-sized chocolate lava cake, we shared a cheesecake brownie, and there is strawberry-rhubarb pie for dessert. :)
:dance: :high5: :jump: THAT she ate !!! I hope this continues today and that her full appetite returns. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

And on your second point ---> :drool: :Chocolate Cherry: :drool: NOW - THAT is THE perfect dinner and one that will keep you up all night long. :lol3: ;) ........ :nono: --> :sleep:...... :lol: :hugs:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do the vets feel about her prognosis?  Still sending lots of warm thoughts your way.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, small cell isn't a fast, aggressive cancer. It can go into remission. Lazlo's oncologist says if small cell goes into remission, it stays in remission - but that's not what the studies show. :dk: In fact.... we probably ought to set up an appointment to go see him. Make sure this is the treatment he would use, though it is pretty standard.

Basically, the chemo (Leukeran / chlorambucil ) is usually well-tolerated. And she can be on it for life if she doesn't go into remission. The prognosis is "usually a few years."

These are the study results:

Treatment of Feline Gastrointestinal Small-Cell Lymphoma With Chlorambucil and Glucocorticoids http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092124/

Average rate of remission: 786 days in remission (2.2 years)

Outcome of cats with low-grade lymphocytic lymphoma: 41 cases (1995–2005) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3092124/

"median remission duration was 428 days for cats achieving a partial response, compared with 897 days for cats achieving a complete response. No other factors were associated with remission duration. Overall median survival time was 704 days. No factors were significantly associated with survival time."

Spooky did have full thickness biopsy.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It certainly sounds worth a try.  How is she doing now?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: that the Leukeran puts her into remission. I remember when Wilbur had the mast cell tumor removed on his front leg, deep margin removal and biopsied. It was Grade 2 High. Grade 3 - they only have six months. Grade 2 high with treatment - they said the prognosis was about two years as long as there were no mast cells migrating in his blood. There were none!!!! We did not amputate either. But did do radiation on the area. Anyway - Wilbur defied the odds and went on to live another EIGHT YEARS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was only seven when he had this cancer. My miracle boy. :heart3: SO - I hope that Spooky will do well on the Leukeran and defy those odds too. :D :bigthumb: :cross:

Hope she is feeling good today and eating. We are on the road and will check in when I can this week. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, look at her. 
  I'm so glad she's eating. Interesting that she's preferring the red meats right now.