Spontaneous Cat Aggression

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have four cats in my home. Two males (brothers, neutered) that are 14 years old. About two years ago I brought a female (spayed) into the home. She was 1 year old at the time, and will actually be turning 3 years old this Friday. There was a little fighting, but beyond that they co-exist and even cuddle.

This past summer, my brother had his female cat (spayed) here while he and his girlfriend were away for school. This female cat and my cat became very close friends. This past August, he took his cat to his new apartment. My female cat had been lonely since she didn't have someone young to play with.

This past September, I adopted a female cat (spayed) who was estimated at 10 months old. She and the 3 year old had a rough start, but had gotten to the point where they were beginning to bathe each other and cuddle.

All of the sudden, (within the last week or so) the 10 month year old kitten is trying to fight my 3 year old cat. It isn't playful aggression, it's very malicious. There is lots of hissing, yowling, and claws involved. She doesn't chase and attack the two males. My 3 year old cat is terrified of hearing her bell collar and has resorted to hiding in the basement.

I've recently gotten Feliway Multi-Cat diffusers in the house to try to assist with the problem. I've also been trying to tire the 10 month old kitten out by playing with her. I've been giving them equal attention, but for some reason the kitten just suddenly hates her.

I'm open to any advice. I love them both dearly and really hate to see my one so terrified and the other so angry.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would first have the 3 year old who is being attacked suddenly checked out by the vet for full bloodwork. If she is sick, she will smell different which could cause the newer cat to lash out at her. Also with her hiding, I wonder how much is her not feeling well as cats usually are pretty good at standing up for themselves and communicating, and how much is truly her being scared.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The young one is trying to assert herself and find hierarchy in the household. SOMETHING changed with the three year old, something made her appear/smell/act differently to the new one. It may be even redirected aggression against her from seeing a strange cat outside, being startled by something and now she associates that with your poor older one.
It's also been less than three months since they were introduced, and that is not long at all in a cat's world. You may want to start over with the blanket swapping to reintroduce them. Do not let the newcomer bully the older one. Remove her from the room if she starts being mean. Get a small dog kennel and keep her in there for a short time so your other cat can come out safe and they can still see each other. Give your resident cat more attention and comfort, eventually she WILL stand up for herself. Get a 'kickeroo' on amazon for cats and throw it in front of the aggressor if she appears to be stalking, they can't be resisted and the cat takes aggression out on that. I 'refresh' them in a bag of catnip once in a while too. Make sure your older cat has a safe place to retreat to. My Chrissy spent months on top the fridge, I even had a bed and food and water up there.
It hasn't been that long. They will eventually call a truce and become family. There are always set backs, eventually they will lessen and cease. It just takes time, you have to just intervene and keep the older cat safe until then. Believe me, even though they APPEAR to be really fighting, it's just a scuffle. Real fights involve deep bites, blood flowing and horrible injuries. My cats still screech and roll around, fur flying every so often, and they are mother and sons! All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to start off by thanking everyone for the responses. I appreciate everyone being willing to help out.
I would first have the 3 year old who is being attacked suddenly checked out by the vet for full bloodwork. If she is sick, she will smell different which could cause the newer cat to lash out at her. Also with her hiding, I wonder how much is her not feeling well as cats usually are pretty good at standing up for themselves and communicating, and how much is truly her being scared.
I did consider that Juno (the 3 year old) might be sick. However, she was just at work with me yesterday (I'm a very new vet tech with very little experience on behavioral problems) and had a full exam with blood work. All of her blood chemistry levels were normal, no parasites were in her fecal (part of the exam), and she's lost weight (which is good, because she was on a diet due to gaining a little bit of weight. She was at 10 and is now at 9.4#!). Lungs and heart sound normal, no murmurs, crackles, wheezing, etc.

She hides in the basement because that's where my dad usually is hanging out and she feels safe around him. She's out in the open where anyone who walks out can pet her. She's not hiding, which is really good! For fun, I'm including a picture of her at work with me :D

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

The young one is trying to assert herself and find hierarchy in the household. SOMETHING changed with the three year old, something made her appear/smell/act differently to the new one. It may be even redirected aggression against her from seeing a strange cat outside, being startled by something and now she associates that with your poor older one.
It's also been less than three months since they were introduced, and that is not long at all in a cat's world. You may want to start over with the blanket swapping to reintroduce them. Do not let the newcomer bully the older one. Remove her from the room if she starts being mean. Get a small dog kennel and keep her in there for a short time so your other cat can come out safe and they can still see each other. Give your resident cat more attention and comfort, eventually she WILL stand up for herself. Get a 'kickeroo' on amazon for cats and throw it in front of the aggressor if she appears to be stalking, they can't be resisted and the cat takes aggression out on that. I 'refresh' them in a bag of catnip once in a while too. Make sure your older cat has a safe place to retreat to. My Chrissy spent months on top the fridge, I even had a bed and food and water up there.
It hasn't been that long. They will eventually call a truce and become family. There are always set backs, eventually they will lessen and cease. It just takes time, you have to just intervene and keep the older cat safe until then. Believe me, even though they APPEAR to be really fighting, it's just a scuffle. Real fights involve deep bites, blood flowing and horrible injuries. My cats still screech and roll around, fur flying every so often, and they are mother and sons! All the luck!
I didn't even think about this, but there was this huge tom cat that's been in my yard recently. That could be it. It just stinks that they were becoming close and now we have to start over. I'm definitely going to have to do all of this again.Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Hi. I agree with all the above, but I also think your kitten should be checked out by a vet as well. It could be a health change with her, instead of your 3 year old.
Minerva (the kitten) is going to be going to the vet next week for her exam and full blood work. I actually adopted her from my vet, but I still want the full panel to make sure there's nothing that wasn't noticed. Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I just ordered a variety pack of the "kickeroo" toys! As well as a couple of other toys. I swear I order more toys for my cats than I do things for myself, haha (not that I mind, I want them all to be very happy and have the enrichment they need :D).

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to start off by thanking everyone for the responses. I appreciate everyone being willing to help out.

I did consider that Juno (the 3 year old) might be sick. However, she was just at work with me yesterday (I'm a very new vet tech with very little experience on behavioral problems) and had a full exam with blood work. All of her blood chemistry levels were normal, no parasites were in her fecal (part of the exam), and she's lost weight (which is good, because she was on a diet due to gaining a little bit of weight. She was at 10 and is now at 9.4#!). Lungs and heart sound normal, no murmurs, crackles, wheezing, etc.

She hides in the basement because that's where my dad usually is hanging out and she feels safe around him. She's out in the open where anyone who walks out can pet her. She's not hiding, which is really good! For fun, I'm including a picture of her at work with me :D

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.

I didn't even think about this, but there was this huge tom cat that's been in my yard recently. That could be it. It just stinks that they were becoming close and now we have to start over. I'm definitely going to have to do all of this again.Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

Minerva (the kitten) is going to be going to the vet next week for her exam and full blood work. I actually adopted her from my vet, but I still want the full panel to make sure there's nothing that wasn't noticed. Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it.
Did she the 3 year old) have a urinalysis done while at the vet?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have four cats in my home. Two males (brothers, neutered) that are 14 years old. About two years ago I brought a female (spayed) into the home. She was 1 year old at the time, and will actually be turning 3 years old this Friday. There was a little fighting, but beyond that they co-exist and even cuddle.

This past summer, my brother had his female cat (spayed) here while he and his girlfriend were away for school. This female cat and my cat became very close friends. This past August, he took his cat to his new apartment. My female cat had been lonely since she didn't have someone young to play with.

This past September, I adopted a female cat (spayed) who was estimated at 10 months old. She and the 3 year old had a rough start, but had gotten to the point where they were beginning to bathe each other and cuddle.

All of the sudden, (within the last week or so) the 10 month year old kitten is trying to fight my 3 year old cat. It isn't playful aggression, it's very malicious. There is lots of hissing, yowling, and claws involved. She doesn't chase and attack the two males. My 3 year old cat is terrified of hearing her bell collar and has resorted to hiding in the basement.

I've recently gotten Feliway Multi-Cat diffusers in the house to try to assist with the problem. I've also been trying to tire the 10 month old kitten out by playing with her. I've been giving them equal attention, but for some reason the kitten just suddenly hates her.

I'm open to any advice. I love them both dearly and really hate to see my one so terrified and the other so angry.
Cats do establish "pecking orders" and work out dominance issues, sometimes quite fiercely. As long as no one actually gets hurt, this is part of the natural order of things. It makes us uncomfortable, though, I know! You're doing all the right things, and other posters have made excellent comments and suggestions, to which I can't really add much. Keep us informed, won't you? I'm sure we're all praying for her and pulling for you all. A happy and harmonious cat family is a wonderful part of any home!!!

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did she the 3 year old) have a urinalysis done while at the vet?
It came back normal.

Cats do establish "pecking orders" and work out dominance issues, sometimes quite fiercely. As long as no one actually gets hurt, this is part of the natural order of things. It makes us uncomfortable, though, I know! You're doing all the right things, and other posters have made excellent comments and suggestions, to which I can't really add much. Keep us informed, won't you? I'm sure we're all praying for her and pulling for you all. A happy and harmonious cat family is a wonderful part of any home!!!
That's what I'm thinking, Minerva (the 10 month old) is just being really aggressive. Juno (the older cat) is afraid to go and when she hears her bell collar, she panics. I've isolated Minerva to my room as of today (Juno wouldn't leave it last night and I didn't have the heart to kick her out) and I'm removing the bell collar to get rid of the negative association with that noise.

With all that being said, Minerva was out and about around the two older boys today. My mother claims that she had one cornered behind the couch today and was growling. Naturally, he is the dominant cat so I think she was trying to assert her dominance.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It came back normal.

That's what I'm thinking, Minerva (the 10 month old) is just being really aggressive. Juno (the older cat) is afraid to go and when she hears her bell collar, she panics. I've isolated Minerva to my room as of today (Juno wouldn't leave it last night and I didn't have the heart to kick her out) and I'm removing the bell collar to get rid of the negative association with that noise.

With all that being said, Minerva was out and about around the two older boys today. My mother claims that she had one cornered behind the couch today and was growling. Naturally, he is the dominant cat so I think she was trying to assert her dominance.
Oh gosh. I've got a similar thing going on here. Our most recent addition to the family is male, adopted at 9, currently 11, and very dominant. One of the girls, Tarifa, 15, is pretty calm and accepting of him and they play chasing games. I draw the line when he tries to mount her (all of my cats are neutered, of course) but she will swat him if he gets too out of line. It's a different story with Baby Su, 14 and born feral, only bonded to me, and very scared of Elvis. So he has a collar with a bell. (Baby Su's bell was removed before I put her collar on. Tarifa's new collar has a bell, and she doesn't seem to mind it at all. Her last one did as well.) I want Baby Su to be able to hear Elvis coming.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, I'd like to show off the little trouble maker. This is my Minerva.

Well, I'm sold. She's adorable, and by the looks of her expression and her collar...she knows it. :thumbsup:

That picture shows a Queen-ish presence. She tolerates company but usually doesn't seek it, and demands respect from her slaves and minions. :lol:

Vilali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I'm sold. She's adorable, and by the looks of her expression and her collar...she knows it. :thumbsup:

That picture shows a Queen-ish presence. She tolerates company but usually doesn't seek it, and demands respect from her slaves and minions. :lol:
She does know it. However, she does seek attention. She's currently rubbing up against me purring really loudly. I'm waiting for her to jump off my lap and turn off my computer (again).

OH YEAH, V Vilali and 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 . She's CALICO. That explains much.
I probably should have mentioned that Minerva is indeed a calico, haha. Juno (the 3 year old) is a patch tabby, so she's primarily tabby but you can see that she's got some calico in her. Some people call that a tabico?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does know it. However, she does seek attention. She's currently rubbing up against me purring really loudly. I'm waiting for her to jump off my lap and turn off my computer (again).

I probably should have mentioned that Minerva is indeed a calico, haha. Juno (the 3 year old) is a patch tabby, so she's primarily tabby but you can see that she's got some calico in her. Some people call that a tabico?
Tabico, calaby -- they do get creative with these designations. I have shared life with a calico beauty, a definite calaby angel, and still do with a tortoiseshell treasure. All are gorgeous. All are colorful.
IMG_1909.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG
*Top to bottom: Calico angel Maryam, Calaby angel Corrie, and my torti treasure Tarifa*:hearthrob::hearthrob::hearthrob::loveeyes:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maryam Calico had "Calico 'tude" but Corrie was sweet as could be. Tarifa is friendly to everyone and only occasionally turns into a Bat-Eared Whapping Tortle. :crackup:
"Bat Eared Whapping Tortle" is her official new nicname!
I've had calico and tortie cats in the past that were just the definition of sweetness. One tortie I had when I was a kid was the most easily handled, loving little thing that wouldn't have known attitude had it bit her in the fanny and she only lived about 9 years. :( One calico was so sweet and affectionate but had an obsession with anything on any high surface, and if something (a paper, a cup of coffee, a can of beer) was on a counter, she HAD to knock it over and gaze at her results.
Baby Girl here has the most snitty, "my way or the high way, all about me, look at me, everyone sucks except me" attitude, sometimes...and sometimes she's the most affectionate, loving, sweet cat I've ever had (probably why I'm so attached to this little ragamuffin.)
She's also smart as a whip and learned her name, learned how to sit and sit "pretty" (sit up) and fetch. It blows people away when you show them that your cat knows how to sit and fetch. I'm sold on Tortie-tude.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Bat Eared Whapping Tortle" is her official new nicname!
I've had calico and tortie cats in the past that were just the definition of sweetness. One tortie I had when I was a kid was the most easily handled, loving little thing that wouldn't have known attitude had it bit her in the fanny and she only lived about 9 years. :( One calico was so sweet and affectionate but had an obsession with anything on any high surface, and if something (a paper, a cup of coffee, a can of beer) was on a counter, she HAD to knock it over and gaze at her results.
Baby Girl here has the most snitty, "my way or the high way, all about me, look at me, everyone sucks except me" attitude, sometimes...and sometimes she's the most affectionate, loving, sweet cat I've ever had (probably why I'm so attached to this little ragamuffin.)
She's also smart as a whip and learned her name, learned how to sit and sit "pretty" (sit up) and fetch. It blows people away when you show them that your cat knows how to sit and fetch. I'm sold on Tortie-tude.
Yeah, Tarifa's definitely a BEWT. I keep asking her who she got those ears from. (I LOVE them). And she is our resident Lion Queen, keeping us supplied with fresh (sparkle/twinkle ball) prey daily, sometimes more than one. The big purple one is her favorite, followed by the rather sparse silver and white one and then the nice big gold one. I don't know how we'd survive without her hunting skills and generosity. She'll catch one and then parade it down the long hall that runs the length of the house, yowling with it in her mouth. Sometimes she'll drop it right by me, and other times it'll be somewhere close.