Spleen nodules

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My 10 year old boy had an ultrasound yesterday and nodules were found in or around or on his spleen and liver (not sure I remember location) it was said they are very small and shouldn't be causing discomfort. He does seem uncomfortable that was the reasoning for the ultrasound. In June a previous ultrasound found pancreatitus that we've successfully treated with no recurrence thus far. The surgeon felt it was a bad option to biopsy due to the invasive nature of the surgery He suggested another ultrasound in six weeks. I'm terrified. Does anyone have any experience with this? I found 1 post from 2016 but received no response from post person. My heart thinks it's because it was bad news. Any info would help me deal with the next steps for Max.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Liver and spleen nodules can be harmless, at least in humans - I would expect that to be true of cats as well. The most common types are cysts or hemangiomas, both of which are considered non-cancerous. Ask your vet about these as possibilities, and ask him to be candid and thorough in his assessment at this point.

The follow up ultrasound, I am guessing, is for the purposes of seeing whether additional nodules appear in those locations, as well as other organs. These types of nodules can grow/multiply over time, but would more likely point to the possibility of cancer if they are seen on other organs that didn't have them in the previous ultrasound. Talk to your vet about the possibility of a fine needle aspiration of one of the nodules on the liver (vs. biopsy), which I am pretty sure can be done in most cases. If so, it might be able to be performed during the next ultrasound.

I don't know what Max is demonstrating related to discomfort, but ask the vet what they can recommend to help Max with that aspect in the meantime. See if you can put your worries aside and focus on Max in the present. You may be worrying for nothing! And, until you know more, that is the best approach you can take. Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Liver and spleen nodules can be harmless, at least in humans - I would expect that to be true of cats as well. The most common types are cysts or hemangiomas, both of which are considered non-cancerous. Ask your vet about these as possibilities, and ask him to be candid and thorough in his assessment at this point.

The follow up ultrasound, I am guessing, is for the purposes of seeing whether additional nodules appear in those locations, as well as other organs. These types of nodules can grow/multiply over time, but would more likely point to the possibility of cancer if they are seen on other organs that didn't have them in the previous ultrasound. Talk to your vet about the possibility of a fine needle aspiration of one of the nodules on the liver (vs. biopsy), which I am pretty sure can be done in most cases. If so, it might be able to be performed during the next ultrasound.

I don't know what Max is demonstrating related to discomfort, but ask the vet what they can recommend to help Max with that aspect in the meantime. See if you can put your worries aside and focus on Max in the present. You may be worrying for nothing! And, until you know more, that is the best approach you can take. Please keep us posted!
I just got a copy of the u/s and spoke to the vet. The reason they don't want to do a needle aspiration of spleen and liver is because they are located within each of the organs. Also it was noted very mild mesenteric lymphadenopathy. But hasn't changed since U/S in June that found his pancreatitus. He's just " not right". Low energy, licking paws more often then usual,, making what sounds like whimpering noises as he's falling asleep,hiding under chairs at bedtime, vocal. He always comes to bed after I settle so maybe it's a new spot under the chair. The vocalizing could be him just talking after he plays. I'm driving myself nuts and need to take your suggestion and enjoy him now. Praying it's just older cat stuff.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any of his behaviors similar to when he was experiencing pancreatitis? Did they do a Spec fPLI to verify his pancreatitis has been resolved (and/or, even to confirm it when he was suspected of having it)? Pancreatitis often ends up being chronic and can flare up at any moment in time. I don't know about this type of inflammation causing nodules in the surrounding area, but I suppose perhaps that is possible. Pancreatitis can affect not only the liver, but the spleen as well.

None of the associated lymph nodes can be fine needle aspirated either? I am surprised that the fluid within the spleen wouldn't be an option, even if the nodules themselves cannot be reached. But, I am speaking with absolutely no training in vet medicine.

IMO, it is good news that there were no changes seen in between the two ultrasounds. And, tbh, it sounds like your vet is managing Max's situation very well.

[It is no consolation or help to you, but you are helping me to think things through for my cat's sake. Feeby had an ultrasound in August which showed an enlarged spleen (and one adrenal gland) that needs followed up. I can at least ask about a fine needle aspiration for her, now that you've given me more to think about. It was also speculated that she might have chronic pancreatitis, but that still needs to be confirmed]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You raised so many questions I am going to find answers for! Thank you. I also stumbled upon a new direction for me to explore. I've attached it. He has an appointment with an internist on Tuesday so I'm going to ask and hope I'm not dismissed immediately. My gut has been nagging me for about a year. As usual vets told me "he's fine. I have believed, with zero medical knowledge, that he has some type of infection. Until I'm disproved I will keep trying to help. Praying cancer isn't in his body.. Really appreciate all the thoughts and questions to raise. Such a wealth of info!
Cannot attach but look up non tuberculous Mycobacteria