Spinal Lymphoma

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My moggy started limping badly on Thursday. The 1 1/2 weeks before that, I noticed he kept stopping when he walked, but no limp. Now it hurts him A LOT to be touched in the lower back area when he walks, but he shows no signs of pain when we touch him in the lower back area when he's resting. We saw the vet today (we went yesterday but he could not be examined as he was so angry). The vet says it's likely spinal lymphoma :'( The only way to know for sure is to undergo an MRI under general anesthesia, but I don't want to put him through that. There is not much the vet can do but give him prednisolone (which he was already on), painkillers and antibiotics (in case an infection is causing all this). Does anyone have any info on spinal lymphoma? Are there any alternative treatments that can help?
I'm devastated :'(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the devastating diagnosis. How did the vet arrive at spinal lymphoma?
Based on the lower back pain and ataxia/paresis, it shows there is spinal cord involvement. Based on his age (12), he feels it's probably spinal lymphoma (although from everything I read, spinal lymphoma is usually diagnosed in younger cats, the median age according to one study is 43 and 24 months). Also, he went blind nearly 3 months ago from an unknown cause. He feels he probably has lymphoma in 2 locations. :'( Both are rare locations to get lymphoma, so my moggy must really have struck the Unlucky Lottery. :;(

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again wombat. You guys are having such a very tough time.

While you're waiting to hear from folks here who have had related experiences, you might consider putting your questions to some of the specialized Lymphoma online groups/communities. That's where you will find the greatest concentration of lymphoma caregivers in 'one place', so-to-speak.....and, where you're most likely to find common experience.

Here's a post I wrote for someone else - it has links to those focused groups: Info on Lymphoma Groups.

Meantime, I'm sure you'll keep us up to date.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on his age (12), he feels it's probably spinal lymphoma (although from everything I read, spinal lymphoma is usually diagnosed in younger cats, the median age according to one study is 43 and 24 months).
"Probably" doesn't feel enough when talking about a fatal disease. I can't say what Moggy has, if I remember correct he has FIV so maybe that also changes statistics but... I will be straightforward, if he will pass away within a matter of weeks from spinal lymphoma if he really has it, then why not go with MRI in case he has something else and it is treatable? I remember when he went blind you didn't want MRI because if it was a tumor there was no radiotherapy anyway but seeing he got worse and they are talking about a fatal disease, what is there to lose with MRI? Something to think about.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd probably go with the MRI to get a definitive answer on it. Might isn't always is and if there is a chance it is something else I'd get confirmation. I just wouldn't forgive myself if it turned out to be something else that was treatable.

I haven't dealt with spinal lymphoma specifically but I have dealt with throat cancer in a cat. Based on everything else you've said, if you get confirmation, the vet is probably right that managing the symptoms until it's time to let go is probably your only course of action. We tried chemo in my case but my cat was younger and had no other health complications (it didn't work for us). Again, I am so sorry for this diagnosis and prognosis. :vibes: