Spinach In Wet Food

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently, my petsmart began stocking the chunky/gravy cans of Nulo wet food. I thought these were pretty cool because I've always liked the Nulo brand and Kiki won't eat the pate ones.

So I grabbed a can and read the ingredients... And there's spinach in some of them. I bought the cans without spinach. And of course Kiki gobbled the food right up.

I know spinach can cause crystals over time, so why would it be in cat food? Is the amount in the 3.5-ish ounce can going to harm a 10 pound cat?

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
MeowHiss, I would think a small amount of spinach might be good but certainly not everyday. Cat needs greens in diet but as you know it contains calcium oxalates which can cause kidney damage. I say good choice going without the spinach. My lady likes broccoli in small amounts but not everyday. Also she likes asparagus tips but again not everyday.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don’t need any greens. They are obligate carnivores. Spinach is just another cheap filler. To be honest we don’t know the long term effects of most of the crap pet food companies put in their feed. It’s always a gamble with any brand or variety.

Sorry about the pessimism.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My last cat had FIC, so I'm wary of anything with the potential to cause crystals. I agree that cats really don't need greens, unless it's their catnip or cat grass. I'm always looking for better foods to rotate. Last time, I got a bag of orejin, but Kiki didn't really like it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, geez. :paperbag: I feel dumb now for not realizing this -- Nulo's Turkey & Halibut is one of my cat's fave foods! :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, geez. :paperbag: I feel dumb now for not realizing this -- Nulo's Turkey & Halibut is one of my cat's fave foods! :(
I'm sure my cat would love it too!

Have you looked at the tiki cat brand? My cat liked all of those I bought and she's an extremely picky eater. Tiki is one of the foods I rotate. Mostly we stick with the after dark cans, but there are fish ones too.