Spiders in Litter Box?!?!?

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I was just searching online to find if this was true and it is one of those "amazing facts". To make things worse, the next spider fact I found was that there is one within 8 feet of you at all times!
OK, I'm putting a litterbox in my bedroom.
If spiders like litterboxes, then instead of crawling in bed with me, they can go play in the litterbox

Please be careful if you are afraid of spiders. I recently sprayed our bedroom with Raid bug spray due to spiders. I sprayed both the perimeter, along the outside walls, and around the base of the waterbed. My fear was that if I sprayed the floor along the wall, the spidies would all move into my bed.

It made dh sick.
He had a sore throat and felt bad for a few days. I'm glad the kitties mostly stay out of our room, and I was careful to totally lock them out for a few days.

If you want to get rid of bugs, there are bug spray "bombs" that treat the whole room, and dissipate quickly so you don't poison loved ones. Just be careful with those kitties! (Good time to go visiting with them!)

As for eating spiders...I can only conclude that some poor guy somewhere is eating 2 spiders a night, because I am sure I have never eaten one! And with 5 people in my house, if we were eating all those spiders, there wouldn't be so many crawling around for the kitties to play with!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good reminder about the bug spray! Actually since I have had Dori I haven't used any bug spray. Before we got her I did like you and performed "preventative" bug sprays with Raid every 2 weeks or so during "spider season". I always sprayed around the windows inside and out and around the doors and such.

kellyyfaber

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spiders in the litterbox???????? Hey! I don't need another reason to dread scooping them
I HAAAAAAAAAAATE spiders.

alessandra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suck up the spiders with the long attachments on my vacuum ... grosses me out to see the cats or dogs eating them !

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to hijack this thread for a minute.
Spiders do not crawl in your mouth while you sleep! It's a myth! This myth actually was more effectively spread around when a columnist was writing an article about myths. Insects and spiders really aren't that stupid. This doesn't happen people. If something did crawl in your mouth you'd wake up so fast that the room would spin!

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.htm

*End hijack*

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Irresistible hijack response...
Thanks Ryan...I was beginning to get creeped out about eating spiders in my sleep.
I'm trying to lose some weight.I don't need the extra calories.

madpiano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my problem is the oppsite... I don't have enough spiders since the cat moved in. My little kitten (I have him since a week) loves chasing, killing and eating spiders. Now, allthough I don't mind them, I am not THAT fond of them, but they are great at keeping a house bug-free. In my old house the cat cleaned out all the spiders, but ignored the bugs. We had a low level patio door striaght into the garden there (no step or anything), so the bugs were always getting in the house. After Tom killed all spiders, we had a beetle problem..... The new kitty is starting the same way, but thankfully I have a framed Patio door here, so things should be slightly better. I have noticed less moths as well....

kathy14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Eewwww! There goes my appetite! Lucky for me my Wiggies is a little spiderman and eats whatever spiders he can - none left for the humans!
I feel lucky too... I have 2 little hunters who love to catch bugs, usually before I even know there are creepy crawlies in the house. Tigger has always been my little bug hunter for years, and Callie is my new kitty... I was so proud the first time I saw her hunt and eat a bug!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my 7 cats always manages to get the bugs because I have tons of them flying around. I don't mind the spiders but I don't care for the flies and fruit flies and moths...my cats like them though. For spiders I just pick them up and set them outside so they can crawl away. My mom kills spiders she sees OUTSIDE and that makes me mad! She is coming into THEIR space...I never got that one...I have a 4 inch tarantula in my house though in a cage as a pet so I guess I am immune to sharing my home with spiders.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont think an average person eats a spider a month.
If there was a spider in my mouth while I would be sleeping I would most likely gag on it or the movement of it inside would wake me up.

tabaqui

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank god the spider thing's not true.

Luci is like an ubercan of Raid in a fur coat. He kills bugs dead. Somehow, bees have started getting into the house (I'm going to check the walls for holes soon) and he jumps and runs all over the place going to get them. Then he smacks them a couple times, and eats the bee.

I keep telling him if he wants honey that badly he could just raid the cupboard, but, well...

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

I'm going to hijack this thread for a minute.
Spiders do not crawl in your mouth while you sleep! It's a myth! This myth actually was more effectively spread around when a columnist was writing an article about myths. Insects and spiders really aren't that stupid. This doesn't happen people. If something did crawl in your mouth you'd wake up so fast that the room would spin!

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/spiders.htm

*End hijack*
Its a myth that you wilL consume that many in a month, but it is a fact that in an average LIFETIME a person will consume about 10 spiders in their sleep. Of course not the huge ones, but small ones that you don't feel. I read it in one of my Science books from college. Of course you will wake up if a giant harvest spider or something crawls into your mouth. But you cannot feel the ones that are as small as an ant.
Haven't you ever woke up to find a small spider on your bed or pillow before, I know I have a couple of times, and I don't think they have the brains to know "I better not go in that hole (mouth)" They manage to end up in my cats water bowl drowning, so they are not that smart, and will explore even in your mouth while you sleep. Rare, Yes! Impossible No!

sammykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup this is true im in canada and i found one last night with a nest and everything

dd4d

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Spider experts concede that a sleeping person could plausibly swallow a spider, but “it would be a strictly random event.” People who claim they’ve swallowed spiders never seem to have any concrete evidence. “People tell me this happened to them, but they threw it (the evidence) away—flushed it down the toilet, usually,” Crawford says. There’s also a sore lack of eyewitnesses for such a frequent event as eight spiders a year. So even if you heard or read this spider statistic from a trustworthy source (such as a Snapple cap), you can rest assured that it doesn’t have a leg, or eight legs, to stand on."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-swallow-8-spiders-a-year-while-they-sleep1/

We have almost 20 indoor cats.  We have a half dozen litter boxes (huge) that I clean daily.   I find spiders in the one in the garage daily.  The same type.   I think it is a common brown spider.

I think that is also a myth.   It is a strictly random event.  Could happen once or twice, but if it happens to you 10 times at that point I don't think it is random.   I was curious so I actually GOOGLE'd this topic and started reading about it on "arachno" boards.  Interesting stuff.  

Last edited by a moderator:

dcxxx1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband also has seen 2 very large black spiders in our cat's litter box. He hasn't seen this type of spider before and we wondered where it came from. He whacked it 5 times before he finally killed it. Don't like to kill anything but this thing was big. Can they get in the box or are there eggs in there that hatch?

redhed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Twice in the past couple of weeks, I've found big (live!!!) spiders in the litter box. Do the nasty things like the litter, or do they fall in and just can't climb out? My litter box is a tall "tub" because kitty sprays everywhere and this is the only thing that can contain him. There are no spiders in my sinks or bathtubs, though, which makes me think this is a litter box thing. But I've never heard of it before. I hate spiders. Has this happened to anyone else??

redhed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Twice in the past couple of weeks, I've found big (live!!!) spiders in the litter box. Do the nasty things like the litter, or do they fall in and just can't climb out? My litter box is a tall "tub" because kitty sprays everywhere and this is the only thing that can contain him. There are no spiders in my sinks or bathtubs, though, which makes me think this is a litter box thing. But I've never heard of it before. I hate spiders. Has this happened to anyone else??
I came across your post because I was searching to see if anyone else has spiders in the litter box. I have found 2 big scary spiders in the litter over the last week. One in the closed trash can I use to scoop the soiled litter into and one in the litter box itself. It gives me the Heebie jeebies!!