Spiders in Litter Box?!?!?

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Twice in the past couple of weeks, I've found big (live!!!) spiders in the litter box. Do the nasty things like the litter, or do they fall in and just can't climb out? My litter box is a tall "tub" because kitty sprays everywhere and this is the only thing that can contain him. There are no spiders in my sinks or bathtubs, though, which makes me think this is a litter box thing. But I've never heard of it before. I hate spiders. Has this happened to anyone else??

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I havne't seen any in the litter box, but I get an occasional one in the apartment... Oliver usually just slaps his paw down on them and theyre done for - every once in awhile he'll be running around with a leg or two hanging from his mouth, but it's usually just the paw slap....

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not heard of this . I suppose since flies are attracted to poop, spiders might be, too
I had to chuckle , I thought as long as the spiders are there , tell them to carry the poop outside

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never seen that. Maybe they fell and can't get back out. It's creepy no matter why though. I hate spiders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought this cheapie $4 silica-pellet-like cat litter that I mix in with the sand litter...I thought that the first spider came out of that, as I was pouring it into the sand mixture, but that can't be possible, right? The spider would die in an enclosed space like that, not to mention being in there with that silica stuff!! Regardless, I'm cleaning house tonight. : )

misskittysdaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If this worries you...perhaps you wouldn't like to know that the average person eats one spider a month while sleeping.

MKD

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissKittysDaddy

If this worries you...perhaps you wouldn't like to know that the average person eats one spider a month while sleeping.

MKD
Not true! If you live in the UK you eat 9 spiders a month not one while sleeping!

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

MKD
Gross! I did not need to know that! Now I am going to sleep with my mouth taped shut.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eewwww! There goes my appetite! Lucky for me my Wiggies is a little spiderman and eats whatever spiders he can - none left for the humans!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have found a few rather LARGE spiders in and around the litterbox.I dont know what their attraction to the litter is,my guess is they are attracted to the enviroment because it is fly friendly and maybe they are just waiting for a snack to come along.But in your case with the steeper walls they might not be able to get back out.The few I have seen are usually close by, but not in the box itself.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Eewwww! There goes my appetite! Lucky for me my Wiggies is a little spiderman and eats whatever spiders he can - none left for the humans!
you are sooooo lucky! I hate creepy crawlers of any size but my two have 0 predatory instinct when it comes to bugs. Lucky will watch them intently until she gets bored and then lie down next to them. Rambo will occasionally eat one, but i usually have to squish it first and then he gets interested.

Can i borrow Wiggies for a few days to give my monsters a lesson in hunting?

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Not true! If you live in the UK you eat 9 spiders a month not one while sleeping!
Is this really true?! Man, the idea of all those hairy little legs and the hairy little body crawling around my face and finding it's way into my mouth
....Gross!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Renny

you are sooooo lucky! I hate creepy crawlers of any size but my two have 0 predatory instinct when it comes to bugs. Lucky will watch them intently until she gets bored and then lie down next to them. Rambo will occasionally eat one, but i usually have to squish it first and then he gets interested.

Can i borrow Wiggies for a few days to give my monsters a lesson in hunting?
Oliver almost always eats the spiders and crickets he kills, but he killed one yesterday and didn't eat it... I went over to clean it up and it was the WEIRDEST looking spider ever! It was all black and it's body looked like a flower (like, a little circle in the middle, surrounded by like 5 little cirlcles... you know, the types you doodle on your notebook)... also, I now have a "resident spider".... he lives on my ceiling and never goes below where the ceiling meets the wall - we've named him Wilbur and every so often Oliver gets a glance of him moving around up there... it started out that I was too lazy to get up there and kill him, now hes cute - as long as he doesnt fall down on me!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never experienced any sort of bugs in the litter box - thankfully!

Re: the spiders crawling in your mouth while you are sleeping, what you know doesn't hurt you right?

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

MKD
NO WAY! This isn't true is it? I haven't seen one spider since we moved to the house but I am deathly scared of them
I literally felt like I was going to pass out reading this, it really isn't true is it???????

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just searching online to find if this was true and it is one of those "amazing facts". To make things worse, the next spider fact I found was that there is one within 8 feet of you at all times!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You live in Florida. What do you expect ?

I hope that they are not within eight feet of me !

My Megan will get them. We had those creepy centipedes this year and she very carefully carries them up from the basement so they are still moving when I see them hanging out of her mouth EWWWW

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

You live in Florida. What do you expect ?

I hope that they are not within eight feet of me !

My Megan will get them. We had those creepy centipedes this year and she very carefully carries them up from the basement so they are still moving when I see them hanging out of her mouth EWWWW
I know
In our old place we had some of the meanest looking spiders. Some looked so mean I swear they growled at me! My problem is that I am too scared of them to get close enough to kill them, but once I see one I can't be in the same room with it either.
Somebody always has to help me kill it. Thankfully I haven't seen any in the new place, but it isn't "spider season" yet.

I can't imagine Dori trying to kill a mean looking spider either though. She goes after moths but that's about it. I had her on the screened in patio with me the other night and there was one of those waterbug/ cockroach looking things out there. She wouldn't go near it, but watched from a distance.