Specific question about administering liquid meds

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not asking for alternative options for administering meds/supplements, been through them all. You name it I have done it. I've looked at every 'how to' video out there. So, bottom line is this: Meds/supplements must be syringe fed to Feeby. So, please just answer, if you can, the question I have.

If you are not supposed to tilt a cat's head back to syringe liquid meds to them, but they will let the liquid ooze out their mouths, even if you place it in their cheek, clamp their mouth shut afterward, and massage their throat, what do you do?

Oh, yeah, because I know the question will be asked: I am only trying to administer no more than 0.5 mil of fluid at a time.

Last edited:

sanfran_kitty_lady_21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I learned how to give liquid meds from a YT vet video and he would do a little tilting. I think main thing is that you squirt the meds far enough back towards the mouth so the immediate reaction is to swallow. Just due to angles, my cat's head def tilts up when I give her liquid meds. Not sure of that's helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, no one has this issue, or all you all like the poster above who does tilt their cat's head back for med administration?

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat's head does tilt back a little, but it's not like her nose it pointed to the ceiling. Maybe her nose is 45 degrees to the ceiling. I try to get the syringe top as far back on her tongue as possible so that the meds are close to her throat. There is still foaming sometimes if there is a big dose of a really nasty tasting liquid, but we can just do what we can.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
With dogs, it is advised not to tilt the head either. Usually you put the syringe between the teeth and cheek as opposed into the back of the mouth. The fact that many breeds of dogs have a longer snout than a cat makes it easier to gently close the mouth and wait for them to swallow.