Special Kitty Litter Alternative

Nime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

My cat loves the special kitty cat litter it is a fine pebble. However it is very dusty and i think its giving him breathing issues and he sneezes. I have tried the variety that is made out of corn, newspaper and he hates them. I have also read that special kittys brand gets recalled often. Can you suggest a cat litter that hasnt been recalled and must be non-clumping and unscented. Thanks!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I used Special Kitty litter for years and never heard of a recall.

The only other non-clumping litter I'm familiar with is Johnny Cat, since that's the one my club uses for our cat shows. I don't know if the dust is any different from Special Kitty. You may have to do some experimenting with different litters yourself.

There is one thing you can do to help reduce the dust if you have an outdoors space where you can change the litter. Pour the litter into the pan from a height of 4 or 5 feet. You'll see a lot of dust floating away as you pour it. (Just be sure you're standing upwind).

Good luck with your search.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you were thinking of recall of Special kitty food rather than litter? It's also made by Smucker's and they do seem to be having a bit of trouble this last year or so.

The J. M. Smucker Company Issues Voluntary Recall of Specific Lots of Special Kitty® Wet, Canned Cat Food Due to Health Concerns