Speaking of Litter...Has anyone tried Petco's Bulk litter?

adweena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it scented? I am using Tidy Cat Scoop-able and the smell is horrid. The girls use it without complaint but I want something better. Petco's bulk litter smells to me like it is unscented.

Other than scent, what are your opinions on it?

Thanks!

Megan

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't remember if it's scented (we use it at the adoption cages in Petco). It does an OK job for the price.....I'd pick it over Tidy Cat, but my guys don't like TC.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't tried it, but if you are looking for something that smells better I would recommend Swheat Scoop. Its made from wheat, and so has a wheat smell and the natural active enzymes work very well to absorb odors especially ammonia from cat urine. Works well and economical in the 40lb green labeled MultiCat (means extra clumping) bags available at Petsmart.

Its also arguably healthier for your cat (and you too) since any residue licked off the fur or breathed in is essentially just food, and its very very low dust.

Another benefit is that its convenient since you can just flush it down the toilet. Lastly, as "green" is the big thing now, it is completely biodegradable so doesn't contribute to landfills and its a byproduct of the necessary wheat farming industry so has no true ecological impact, whereas most clay based litter is retrieved from strip mining operations since the material is close to the surface and unfortunately turns vast stretches into virtual deserts.

Downside is that its a bit bigger clumps rather than a ultra-fine sand like clay which makes it even safe for recently declawed cats to use, but seems to make it track more out of the litterbox since it gets stuck on toes. But it doesn't go far and is caught by a littermat. Also very young kittens may mistake it for food and eat it, but can be taught not to and don't try after they've used it a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adweena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will have to check out the Swheat Scoop. Thanks!

naps with cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used the Petco litter for yeeeeeeeears (until the gas prices went up, Petco is too far away and it's not where I get my cat's food anyways), so I switched to the simple green boxes of "Special Kitty" - no scent so they don't get confused if they've covered or not, less dusty, works great.

Warmly,

Julie O'

Originally Posted by Adweena

I will have to check out the Swheat Scoop. Thanks!