Spaying

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Coojee kitten is coming up to 7 months old & I will have to book her spaying operation soon. I'm really scared about it as Coojee is the love of my life.

I've found who I think is a good vet & am thinking of visiting the vet for a talk about the best options. I think the regular entry point is on the side, but many people on this site seem to have the operation done from underneath? Maybe someone could suggest a list of questions I can ask the vet please?

Coojee is a British Blue Shorthair, 7.5 lbs (3.4kg), indoor only cat. No other pets. Loved to bits!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never heard of doing the incision from the side. I am based in the US and our spays are always done from the middle of the underside. I've always assumed it is easier access points. :dunno:

Here was Rocket inspecting her spay after,

Questions to ask:

1) Do they clean operating tools and room between patients?
2) Do they put in an IV? This allows pushing of medications in an emergency plus they can hook up fluids after the procedure to flush their system/keep hydrated.
3) Do they have a staff mointoring vitals during the procedure?
4) Do they have a staff mointoring those animals in recovery?
5) What do they use to close the incision? Some use internal dissolving and external glue while others do Staples or external sutures. I haven't heard one being better than another but they will look different.
6) Will you be able to call, text or email photos to the vet if you have questions about healing? Response time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Excellent info to ask, thanks. The side incision seems to be normal in the UK. I think from underneath is more complex, but it is better for not leaving a mark on the coat when it regrows. When my lovely Marmite pusscat was spayed many years ago, I specifically requested incision from underneath.

I will ask all the questions, thanks again.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I found this on a website, but no explanation why.

• Most vets in the UK will spay the cat through their flank, the incision is made though the cats left abdominal side. Cats are always spayed on the left, so if there is any confusion as to whether they have been done or not ( for example in a stray or rescue cat), vets know where to look for the scar.
  • Sometimes cats will be spayed via the ‘midline’, which is in the middle of their tummy on the underneath, like dogs. This approach is often used if the cat is pregnant, and is more common in Europe and the USA.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that the flank incision is common in Europe. We had people here for an expert forum on spay/neuter and one was a vet. He said that it mostly has to do with how it is taught in vet schools. In Europe the flank incision is taught and here it is the incision in the belly, vets continue with how they have been taught. He said that he likes the flank incision better for TNR with ferals that can't be confined and watched for long periods of time.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I visited the vet today for a consultation. The surgery & tools are sterilised between each operation. Also the vet plans the operations so he has either cat or dog only days, unless there is an emergency. In addition to that, he likes to work on the "cleanest" op to the "dirtiest" op through the day. His example was, the first ops would be spaying, the last ops maybe anal problems.

He uses an IV and gas for antiseptic. The cats have their first meds by injection for pain & to get them relaxed. He uses that to give a sort 10 minute antiseptic by IV. Then while the cat is under, he sprays the throat & uses gas for the op. The IV tube is left in until just before the owner collects the cat to go home.

He has an assistant to help with the operation & another assistant watches in the recovery room. The cats are not left alone until they are sitting up & looking around. No animals can see each other.

He uses internal dissolving sutures.

Contact with the vet after the op is any time of day or night.

The vet is experienced with both midline & flank entry. I'm happy with midline.

I also asked for blood tests before the op. The vet has equipment on-site to check the results within 20 mins. He is very happy to do the blood tests as he said it gives him more data.

I must return Coojee to the vet after 7 days for a final check of the wound, even if there is no obvious issues.

I have booked Coojee's spaying operation for next Monday.

I have another question:
After the op, the vet normally applies the "lampshade" around the head to stop the cat licking the wound site. We must keep this on for 7 days! I have asked about other options. He showed me the "doughnut", he said that cats sometimes find it too heavy, but we can try it. Also, something I had not heard of before, the "t-shirt". Basically a onesie, with holes for the head, legs, tail & bottom. I like that idea as it gives the cat full movement, however he did say that many cats don't like the restriction.
Any advice please?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
t shirt works. I have never personally used a collar of any sort after spay or neuter surgery. I have assisted in many and have fixed maybe 50 or 60 cats over the years including a handful of my own personal pet cats and never once used them. It is fine for them to lick the wound as it heals as long as they don't pull at the stitches. I assume they use glue and dissolvable stitches?

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dissolvable stitches yes, I didn't ask about glue. In the UK & Isle of Man, the collar is normally applied. This vet gave 3 options & I had never heard of the t-shirt before. It looks good & if I were a pussycat, it's the least bad option.

I will take the week off work & be home with Coojee constantly to help her through it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so sweet how concerned you are taking off a week of work for it :) She will be fine, they bounce right back as it is a very routine and easy surgery. Just let her sleep it off the first day or so and then keep her in a small area so she isn't bouncing off the walls and damaging her incision.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like a really good place to get the spay done at. :heartshape:

I also did not use a cone, doughnut or shirt after my girl was spayed. Not that you shouldn't but the whole thing stressed her out too much. I've heard cats do well with a doughnut type one and you can buy an inflatable one online that should be lighter. The shirt works wonderful for some cats and is sensory overload for others, if you go that route I would keep an alternative on hand in case she has problems with it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I think it would stress the cat out too much after already having something strange happen to them and the stress from that.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies. I'm thinking of taking the t-shirt & doughnut too, so that I have some options. The vet had 2 types of doughnut, both were inflatable. Also my fav cat food site has some doughnuts, but I'm not sure about sizes. Comfy Collar

Last edited:

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coojee's spaying appointment is on Monday morning. I'm really scared for her.

We are having blood tests done, if I could stay to sit with her I would do. I don't think I can though. I've taken next week off work to be with Coojee.

She cannot eat after 9pm the night before, but she can have water. In the morning when we get up, we have to withdraw the water. So no helping me in the bathtub in the morning!

We will have the t-shirt onesie to protect the wound & we've having the midline op. I'll also take home a doughnut, in case the onesie doesn't work too well.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was really nervous too, but remember, this is a highly routine surgery that the vast majority of kittens sail through without any issues. Even if there are some complications, like my kitten had, they are usually minor and treatable!

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've had the op done & Coojee was fine. She now has a t-shirt on, although she's got her front legs out of it twice so far. We've had a sleep in the bedroom & I gave her 3 small amounts of food over 2 hours. Equivalent to half a meal. We will feed another half a meal this evening. I've let her into the rest of the house & she is looking around ok. Her front legs are a bit restricted by the t-shirt.

The vet gave us Meloxicam drops to put in her food each morning for 5 days. We are seeing the vet in 7 days time for a check up & take the t-shirt off, if it's not gone before then.

I note that Meloxicam has a warning in the US - but not in the UK.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:cheerleader::cheerleader:

Glad to hear the surgery went well and she is recovering.

Warnings vary, I usually read what the warning is and make a decision. For example, I live in California and most restaurants have to post a "warning chemicals found here may cause cancer" at fish places this is because fish may contain Mercury and high amounts could be dangerous. Disneyland has a similar warning because of the chemicals and products they use on the property; like pesticides for the plants, chemicals for bodies of water and paint. They tend to be in line with a warning that coffee is hot around here. Other warnings can be more troublesome but I would trust your vets judgement.

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spaying op was done on Monday. Tuesday, Coojee was ok, a little "out of it" still but had problems with her T-shirt from the vet. Wednesday, we changed the t-shirt for a baby onesie & this has been going reasonably well.

Yesterday & today, Coojee is not wanting to walk. She doesn't seem to want to put weight on her back legs. I spoke to the vet yesterday who said that he thought that her back end was probably very sore. As she is weeing & pooping, then he is happy that she isn't in too much pain. This morning, Coojee is alert, watching birds, but we are carrying her as otherwise she just sits in one place. We carried her downstairs for breakfast & encouraged her to walk 3 or 4 steps to her dish - which she did so. She is using the litter tray when we place her in it.

While I was writing this, my wife changed Coojee's onesie for a better one we found & she's been getting her to play a little & move forward occasionally.

Does this sound ok? Do other kittens not want to walk after spaying?

ItsMaryann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Spaying op was done on Monday. Tuesday, Coojee was ok, a little "out of it" still but had problems with her T-shirt from the vet. Wednesday, we changed the t-shirt for a baby onesie & this has been going reasonably well.

Yesterday & today, Coojee is not wanting to walk. She doesn't seem to want to put weight on her back legs. I spoke to the vet yesterday who said that he thought that her back end was probably very sore. As she is weeing & pooping, then he is happy that she isn't in too much pain. This morning, Coojee is alert, watching birds, but we are carrying her as otherwise she just sits in one place. We carried her downstairs for breakfast & encouraged her to walk 3 or 4 steps to her dish - which she did so. She is using the litter tray when we place her in it.

While I was writing this, my wife changed Coojee's onesie for a better one we found & she's been getting her to play a little & move forward occasionally.

Does this sound ok? Do other kittens not want to walk after spaying?