Spaying your cats

Kittycatlady819

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does spaying your female cats help their “attitudes” or change their personalities? I have two females now and am curious to know what/if anything will change after they are both spayed. Once will be getting spayed soon and the other I have to work up trust with her enough to get her to come out of her shell and get her comfortable with the cat carrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycatlady819

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've found that if you're caring for more than one cat they all get on a lot better once everyone is spayed and neutered. Particularly with colonies of stray or feral cats. They're less likely to fight with each other, quieter and happier to just hang out and relax.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not as much of a difference with females, but they no longer have the hormone swings from going into heat all the time, so that helps.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mainly got my kitty spayed because I didn't want the hormonal ups and downs of her heat cycles, and also for the health benefits. I wasn't worried about her getting knocked up since she is strictly an indoor cat. However, we built a catio a few months ago, and I realized that if she wasn't spayed, we'd probably have every tomcat within a 10 mile radius howling outside the screened enclosure and probably trying to tear it down when she was in heat!

We had her spayed pretty soon after we got her, so I didn't really notice whether there were any personality changes. She is a sweet cat, good-natured, affectionate and docile. She is spunky and sassy, too, but never aggressive at all. It's hard to say whether than is a result of being spayed or just her nature.