Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Spaying While In Heat

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by allmykitties, Feb 4, 2019.

1. allmykitties

allmykitties Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Mar 8, 2016
    southern IL
    My son (who bought a house across the street from me) acquired a young female kitten. Her spay is scheduled for this upcoming Tuesday (tomorrow), but over the weekend she started showing signs of having gone into heat (vocalizations, posturing). As far as I know, there's no reason the spay can't go forward as scheduled--but I've seen some statements that it will "cost more" with no clear indication as to how much more. Does anyone know, or it it something that's strictly case by case?

2. abyeb

abyeb Charlie's Purrson Staff Member Forum Helper

Feb 18, 2017
    The best thing to do would be to call your vet and ask. I know that at the clinic that Charlie goes to, they have no problem spaying a cat in heat (but I’m not sure about if the price will increase). Some vets might prefer to wait until when she’s no longer in heat to spay her.

3. She's a witch

She's a witch TCS Member Alpha Cat

Feb 21, 2018
    Europe/WA, USA
    Spaying while in heat is more difficult and requires more skills from the vet but it is possible, so if you trust the vet will handle this well you can go ahead and do this. Some vets opts for some hormonal medications to “quiet down” the heat before they would operate

ArchyCat purraised this.

4. Timmer

Timmer TCS Member Super Cat

Jan 10, 2018
    Cleveland, OH
    It's been about 30 years since I've had to have a cat spayed but I do remember it is not recommended to have the surgery done while they are in heat. I forgot why but I do believe the one answer is correct it is more complicated...for some reason.

5. ArchyCat

ArchyCat TCS Member Super Cat

Nov 22, 2017
    Texas
    When I had my last female stray spayed, she was just starting her first heat cycle. No display, no vocalizing. But when I picked her up from the vet the following day, the comment was that if a cat was spayed while in a heat cycle there was an increased risk of hemorrhage during the operation, and for a day or so post op. So I was cautioned to watch her closely for two days for any blood leaking from the incision or her lady bits.

6. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Call the vet. Some are fine with spaying a cat in heat and some would rather wait. If your vet would rather wait, you can set up the new appointment while you have them on the phone.

7. allmykitties

allmykitties Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Mar 8, 2016
    southern IL
    Son called (we both use the same vet), and he's still on for the vaccines that were also to be done, and it's $50 more for a cat in heat, but they'll discuss further when he's in with his kitty.