Spaying The Female Cat - And Your Wallet

How much to spay a female cat where you are?

• $0 - $30

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • $31 - $50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $51 - $70

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • $71 - $100

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • $100 - $150

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • $151 - $200

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • $200 and up

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A thread about vet care inspired this. I have a feeling that my price ranges are a bit low, so, if you're willing to share, do please.

I know the price of spaying has gone up a lot in the past few years, though some places still have low-cost spay/neuter clinics.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a little complicated because you can elect to have a midline done if you want to protect the coat from imperfections following the surgery (I had Mia done midline) but this can be a different price to the typical one where they go through the side.

Anyway, in the UK you are looking at between $60 and $100 for a female spay, including follow up pain relief and buster collar.

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just pulled out the invoice to look. Mabel was spayed recently (a month ago), and I was certain of the total expense being $154, but that included her second round of vaccines. According to the invoice, the spay alone was $97.50, so I voted according to the cost of *just* the spay. Total to bring her medically up to date was $271 (both rounds of vaccination, spay and associated care, and disease testing).

I do know that there are occasional vouchers issued at a cost of $50 for spay/neuter sponsored by the local animal shelter and several area vets honor those vouchers, but I've only seen those offered a couple times in the eight years that I've lived in this area.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet I used before I moved was pretty cheap, so the spay started at $125. Where I live now, the cursed vets steal all your money. Based on the price differences I've experienced so far, a safe estimate for a spay would be no less than $400-600. Honestly, since they like to charge by the minute, it would probably be even higher.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rockets spay was $350-400 range.

The local clinic will spay for $40-100, more if the female is in heat and even more if she is pregnant.

I personally always opt for private vet with mointoring, blood work, etc for females. Males I will take to a clinic, females only to a surgery center with top technology. Only because I had a female with a bad spay from a clinic and I swore never again. It's not worth the cost savings for the damage.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our clinic offers spaying for $60. It includes two days worth of pain medication and a cone collar. They do ferals for $30. It includes a two-night stay, two days of pain medication, and a rabies vaccine.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
$450.00 at my vet.
$50.00 at several low-cost spay clinics.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The veterinary association in Germany has a fee schedule. It's the equivalent of $161 to have a female spayed; a vet can charge up to three times that amount for a complicated case. Shelters generally have a contract vet who charges on a time rather than service basis, so they pay less.

Some municipalities have made neutering (castrating/spaying) cats mandatory. Many refuse to do so because they fear making themselves financially liable for neutering ferals.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to go with prices in Cleveland, OH because I did a lot of rescue and worked in vet clinics there. I am only in LA temporarily and I have no idea what it is like here....

The vets I worked at charged a couple hundred because they did full bloodwork before hand. Which isn't wrong. But I always opted for the spay and neuter clinics which there were many back home. So it would be around $30 for males and $50 for females.

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl was spayed last Tuesday at a cost of £91 (~$118).

Seeing as my last vet visit was for my boy with severe gastroenteritis and cost over £1800 (~$2350) I considered it pretty cheap :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It personally cost me nothing because Lelia came to me already spayed! But my info said the spay + vaccines and all was $100 (plus $20 for a snap test to a total bill of $120).

I have not asked my personal vet how much she charges because it hasn't been necessary.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I live in Maryland/D.C. metro and all my fids are grown.
When I was in Phoenix it should have been like $80 including pain meds at the Spay Neuter clinic chain... and hundreds from the Vet if you wanted more peace of mind. All my sterilizations I did at the clinic. I don't know that there is an equivalent out here. Same for vaccines. I got all four cats loaded up before we drove out here from the Spay Neuter clinic for $110. And I was paying about $25 for microchips, too. Those things are $60 at the vet's office.
Buh I miss having options in Phoenix.