Spaying Nightmare

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww sorry this is so stressful, I understand that you miss her so much. Maybe you can visit her? We have been allowed to visit our kitties when they were in hospital. I am sure she will be ok since it is just a matter of stopping the wound from opening again. After she comes home you can assess whether or not to find a new dvm. I have never heard of anything like this before. All of my girls did well with the spay and they had normal sutures so no real problems. For Sybil she was already spayed when I adopted her. You are not a bad pet parent so don’t blame yourself here. I hope they are not charging you for this hospital stay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't stand it another day, tomorrow is a week that she's been at the vet and I want my kitty back. I called this afternoon and was told (on a Monday) that "the doctor leaves at 4:00 on Mondays. She's off on Tuesdays, and she'll be back in the office on Wednesday at 10:00. If you have any questions, call between between 10:00 and 2:00 on Wednesday."

That isn't okay!

I just want my kitty back even if her stitches need a few more days to heal. Then I'll have to find another vet to remove them. This has just dragged on way too long. Any thoughts?

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you ask what would be necessary to keep kitty quiet and safe to be able to come home.
Could you borrow something from the Vet ot a neighbor like a dog wire kennel to keep her in that everyone would think was OK?

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, they said she can come home if I can "promise" the collar stays on a few more days. (Well I wasn't the one who took it off the first time, she got it off herself, so how can I promise!) But they said I can come get her. I miss my kitty SO MUCH. Two months ago, I'd never even had a cat, now I love this little critter. You guys here can all understand.

mittens23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just tried to help a lost little kitty, and get a pet for myself at the same time. I am going through an extremely stressful life situation, and thought a pet would provide some comfort and stress relief, and then a hungry, stray cat showed up in my yard. It seemed like we needed each other, so I adopted her.

As a responsible person, I took her to the vet for shots, worming, and spaying. Now $1000 later, my cat is back in the animal hospital where she will spend the next 10 days.

Vet visit 1: Cat got exam, shots, and worming. ($280)

Vet visit 2: Cat was spayed and spent one night at the vet. Came home with the incision glued, and no cone. I was handed my cat, and a brief instruction sheet when I picked her up, but otherwise no instructions even though I repeatedly told them I was an inexperienced first time cat owner. Since she wasn't given a cone, and I was only instructed to "keep her in a closet for 10 days" I assumed a cone wasn't necessary. In a couple of days the incision popped open. ($325)

Vet visit 3: Cat had to undergo anesthesia again to have the wound sutured and spend another night at the vet. She came home with a cone and instructions to leave it one for 10 days. Exactly one hour after we got home, the cat got the cone off. I couldn't get the cone back on the cat (again INEXPERIENCED cat owner here!) so I bought a softer, more comfortable fabric collar on Amazon that is velcroed into place. ($200)

Kitty wore the collar for a few days although she vomited on it a couple of times so I had to take it off and wash it. I kept a sharp eye on her in the meantime, and never saw her picking at the wound, but I guess she did because the stitches popped out!

Vet visit 4: Now Kitty is once again at the vet where they intend to glue the incision ONCE AGAIN and keep her there until it heals. ($200)

I have spent a VERY stressful week dealing with this (it is an hour round trip to this particular vet, no less) and spent WAYYYY too much money. All I ever wanted to do was give this sweet kitty a safe home rather than leave her to fend for herself outdoors. If all I wanted was a cat, I could have gotten one at the animal shelter for $50 with the spaying/shots/worming already done.

Can somebody offer me any comfort in this horrendous experience? Is my vet totally incompetent, or what? Is this my fault because I did not, indeed, lock her in a closet when I first brought her home? (I did remove her cat perch, discouraged her from jumping and running around, and kept her as quiet as possible - plus we have no children or other pets in the home to aggravate her in any way. Therefore, I thought it would be okay to keep her close to me while she healed.)

Stressed to the max and out a WHOLE LOT of money. :(:(:(
I put a sock on my little girl. I purchased a extra large sock cut the bottom and put her in the sock. Kept her in it until her incision healed completely. This vet sounds like a class act. Very incompetent. No she would not wear a cone. I would seek a second opinion asap or change doctors.

lisalu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I picked her up, and this time they put an inflatable "donut" type collar on her and said she hasn't been able to get it off. It also seems more comfortable than the dreaded cone - she can see around it (it didn't take me long to figure out why cats hate the cone so much, it restricts their peripheral vision and keeps bumping into things.) When she lays down, he head rests on it like a pillow.