Spaying/neutering at 8 weeks old? I'm nervous!

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in a litter of kittens about a week and a half ago who I'd say are currently around 6 weeks old.
I was very lucky to find great homes for all of them and I can't wait for them to go home to their families!
But of course, like the response rescuer I always strive to be, they must first be fixed.
I know that most shelters/rescues get kittens spayed at 8 weeks (or whenever they hit 2 pounds). I totally understand why they do that and that lots of research says it's safe and fine.
But that seems SO young to me, I'm getting so nervous about it! But I want them to be spayed/neutered ASAP so their families can enjoy them.
Can anyone ease my worries about this? Or share some knowledge/experience?
Thank you!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would honestly keep the kittens with the mom until 12 weeks old then get them fixed, and then have them go to their forever homes. Most rescues do it at 12 weeks of age now, only shelters do 8 weeks old. The longer the kittens can stay with their mom or even with their litter mates (if you don't have mom) the better socialized they will be. :) Lots of studies are showing the longer they stay together the less behavioral issues they have later in life. Especially if they become an only cat.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm old fashioned. I do not spay or neuter my cats until they reach 6 months of age. Also, kittens should remain with mom until 12 weeks of age. Mom teaches them how to be a "cat" in the additional 4 weeks. Otherwise, the kittens may have behavioral problems. as they mature.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would honestly keep the kittens with the mom until 12 weeks old then get them fixed, and then have them go to their forever homes. Most rescues do it at 12 weeks of age now, only shelters do 8 weeks old. The longer the kittens can stay with their mom or even with their litter mates (if you don't have mom) the better socialized they will be. :) Lots of studies are showing the longer they stay together the less behavioral issues they have later in life. Especially if they become an only cat.
I understand that point of view and that is definitely ideal for an ideal world. Unfortunately, kittens are the most highly adoptable between the ages of 8-12 weeks so that is why we have to fix them that early. The earlier we fix them and get them into homes, the faster we can make room for more homeless kittens.
I've personally never heard of a shelter or rescue waiting until 12 weeks old but that could very much be a regional thing. I live in an area with a huge cat population issue so we spay/neuter ASAP. But even my fellow cat fosterers who live in other states spay/neuter at 8 weeks.

Regardless, this litter doesn't have a mama - but even if they did, in the rescue world, it's basically unheard of to keep them with mama for 12 weeks. But as I said, for an ideal world, you're right.

Thanks for the response!

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm old fashioned. I do not spay or neuter my cats until they reach 6 months of age. Also, kittens should remain with mom until 12 weeks of age. Mom teaches them how to be a "cat" in the additional 4 weeks. Otherwise, the kittens may have behavioral problems. as they mature.
I don't know why people are assuming the litter has a mama. They don't, but even if they did, keeping kittens with their mothers for 12 weeks or waiting to spay kittens until they're 6 months old is a very unrealistic expectation to have for rescue.
You can wait to spay/neuter your personal cats until they're 6 months old, sure, but I'm not talking about that.
Also - cats reach sexual maturity at 4 months so I would recommend reconsidering that, even for your personal cats.
Thank you for the response!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
12 weeks minimum for adoption is what professional breeders go by and is also what most vets recommend.

A cat that isn't well adjusted does not stand a chance in getting a good home. People don't want an animal that pees everywhere or bites everyone. The extra time allows for them to learn how to be gentle and confident. They learn these things from their siblings if they are orphaned.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand how important it is to get these rescues into homes too though. Especially under the current circumstances with covid and vets not performing non essential services.

I have done volunteering at a no kill shelter before and they are swamped at the best of times. They need to get the cats into homes as fast as they can so they can continue to intake new ones.

jasperdacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
12 weeks minimum for adoption is what professional breeders go by and is also what most vets recommend.

A cat that isn't well adjusted does not stand a chance in getting a good home. People don't want an animal that pees everywhere or bites everyone. The extra time allows for them to learn how to be gentle and confident. They learn these things from their siblings if they are orphaned.
Unfortunately "12 weeks minimum" is just completely not an option. I don't expect anyone who isn't heavily involved in cat rescue to understand that, which is why I didn't ask for recommendations on how old the kittens should be before they're fixed. But thanks.
Also, as I said, they already have great homes lined up. Regardless of what "breeders go by", which I couldn't possibly care less about by the way, waiting 12 weeks to spay/neuter EVERY kitten is absolutely not doable in the rescue world.
I'm sorry if I come across as rude but I feel like none of you read my post. If you did, you wouldn't be recommending that a cat rescuer waits 3 months to fix every kitten that comes through their care.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am heavily involved in rescue lol. I have been apart of one since 2013. I help with cat intakes at a local rescue and do deal with finding placements for new intakes. So yah I get it, believe me. I understand the stress of people begging for help, telling you they will kill the animal if you don't intake, or have a feral cat colony that someone is going and drowning all the kittens.. So I understand completely what you are saying, kitten season is a never ending hell for rescues. I wish people would FIX THEIR DAMN CATS lol.

Basically they go up between 8 to 10 weeks of age, and generally get adopted quite fast. They just aren't allowed to leave until after they are fixed. That's usually 11 to 13 weeks old. We had too many issues with foster to adopt scenarios where people took them early and got them fixed. Many didnt show up to appointments.. We found most of our kittens were not even 2lbs until at least 11 weeks old, it varied but it seemed to be the norm for our small fries lol. So it seems to work out. It was easier for us as the kittens got their 2nd set of shots the same time as well as micro-chip so no extra vet trips which is nice. We found the kittens tended to be more friendlier and more outgoing, then kittens adopted out earlier. It wouldn't be an issue if you adopted kittens in pairs though, but just from what research has shown kittens have far less behavioral issues if they stay with their littermates for longer. Especially if they are to be only cats. I would suggest fixing at 10 weeks old, that should give them enough time to reach the 2lb mark. Then you don't have to worry so much as they will be bigger and less fragile looking.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens do great with spaying/neutering at 8 weeks. They bounce back so quickly! It's great that you're making sure it's done before they go to their new homes.