Spaying momma cat

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can a mother cat still produce milk after being spayed and how long after the birth should i wait to have her spayed?

i dont know if this makes a difference but i'm in the uk and we have slightly different policies on spaying than the us, (eg i would have difficulty finding a vet prepared to neuter before 6months. not that this is applicable as she is 1 year old)

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They will give milk after a spay, not soon after the kittens are given back to them. My vet won't do early spays either. I had to call and find one to do Prowler because she went into heat so quickly.

vegansoprano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she absolutely will produce milk as long as the kittens are still nursing. There are no hormones to drive milk production but it continues as long as there is a demand for it.

The spay technique used in the UK is actually ideally suited for spaying a lactating mother, since there is no possibility of cutting the milk ducts. I'd say call today and make an appointment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vegansoprano

I'd say call today and make an appointment.
the kitten isnt pooping for itself yet so i think i better wait for a while.

vegansoprano

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can make an appointment for a few weeks from now so that you can be sure it'll get taken care of then. If Mama is indoors only, there should be no real urgency but she should be fixed no later than when the kittens are 12 weeks old, sooner if she goes into heat before then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vegansoprano

You can make an appointment for a few weeks from now so that you can be sure it'll get taken care of then. If Mama is indoors only, there should be no real urgency but she should be fixed no later than when the kittens are 12 weeks old, sooner if she goes into heat before then.
the trouble is i think she's going into heat now! oh the next 9 weeks will be a joy.....

yes shes indoors only. dont worry she will be fixed. plus i've got to go to the vets for the new ones shots in 3 weeks and Mavs booster