Spaying and weight gain

severina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 yr old female cat was spayed a few months ago and subsequently gained much weight very rapidly. We have noticed her ravenous appetite as well. Its hard to regulate her food, as we have another cat as well, and she tends to dip into his food as well. She is MUCH heavier and LOOKS pregnant. Anyone familiar with this? I don't think she has parasites, since her stools seem to be OK. Could this be some kind of hormone imbalance triggered by the spaying?

simon's mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My DSH also gained a lot of weight after having her spayed. I have been told that having a cat spayed does not affect their weight but I think it does. I was also told it can be because they do not play as much as they get older.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, you can't really base it on the fact that they were spayed or neutered. First of all most indoor cats are generally overweight. They don't get the exercise most outdoor cats do. They all have a different metabolism as well. Out of 11 cats 7 are spayed and neutered. I only have 2 overweight cats out of the 7. I would be concerned about rapid weight gain.

studio224

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats, 1 neutered, 2 spayed. Neither is overweight. One of them is very lazy, doesn't play much, doesn't run much but still is not overweight.

However i control the food they eat: they are not free feeding and they eat only twice a day.

Anne-Claire

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

severina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me clarify my previous post. I'm talking about very rapid, extreme weight gain after spaying. Going from being a very petite kitty, to looking pregnant in the space of a month.

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were you, I'd give the vet a call. Any weight gain this rapid and such a large amount could be something medical. This doesn't sound normal to me or healthy.

studio224

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Severina
Let me clarify my previous post. I'm talking about very rapid, extreme weight gain after spaying. Going from being a very petite kitty, to looking pregnant in the space of a month.
I agree with Dawn91, this doesn't look normal at all. Ask the vet about it and let let us know.

Anne-Claire