Spaying and heat questions.

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but she isn’t pregnant so I didn’t think it was that one.
Anyway I picked up a stray October like two days before halloween. Our family has only had two pets who were both already neutered when we got them so I didn’t even really know anything about females going into heat.
So the fact that my cat (as far as I know) hasn’t gone into heat yet only recently occurred to me when someone mentioned their cat being in heat.
I looked up the signs and stuff and I don’t really think she is acting any different. So does this mean she was probably Spayed at some point?
I am a poor college student so I really don’t want to have to pay for anesthesia if there isn’t going to be a surgery.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, it's hard to tell with females most of the time. Some vets are good at feeling for a spay scar, or they may be able to do an ultrasound to make sure. But if you don't have any trouble keeping her inside, and don't have any unneutered males inside, it's fine to wait and see, too.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have trapped cats for TNR, which means that whoever walks into the trap goes to the vet to be fixed. On several occasions I have trapped a spayed female. The vet was able to tell from the scar. The likelihood of a cat who had expensive abdominal surgery BUT was not spayed AND ended up in a Havahart trap is pretty slim. I agree that you are safe keeping her inside while you wait to see.

Does she happen to be missing the tip of an ear....either one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh, it's hard to tell with females most of the time. Some vets are good at feeling for a spay scar, or they may be able to do an ultrasound to make sure. But if you don't have any trouble keeping her inside, and don't have any unneutered males inside, it's fine to wait and see, too.
How long should I be waiting? I have goodness about seven months now. I keep her inside most of the time but I do like to let her out on occasion while I can be out with her. Its definiately just more of a peace of mind thing then a need though.
The vet I went to said the only way to tell was by shaving that part of the belly and to see if there was a mark or scar. But you said a good one can feel for it?

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long should I be waiting? I have goodness about seven months now. I keep her inside most of the time but I do like to let her out on occasion while I can be out with her. Its definiately just more of a peace of mind thing then a need though.
The vet I went to said the only way to tell was by shaving that part of the belly and to see if there was a mark or scar. But you said a good one can feel for it?

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have trapped cats for TNR, which means that whoever walks into the trap goes to the vet to be fixed. On several occasions I have trapped a spayed female. The vet was able to tell from the scar. The likelihood of a cat who had expensive abdominal surgery BUT was not spayed AND ended up in a Havahart trap is pretty slim. I agree that you are safe keeping her inside while you wait to see.

Does she happen to be missing the tip of an ear....either one?
Her ears are both intact.
How much does the Surgery cost?
How long does it take to heal?
I have 8 hour days. I do get an hour lunch break so I come home to visit her but thats still several hours on her own recovering. That doesn't seem smart.
Thank you for your time and help!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I just wondered if she had an ear tip which would have meant that she was fixed, but it still does not mean that she going to get pregnant. Do you suspect that she was a pet who was discarded?

My vet always shaved the lower abdomen to see if the cats were spayed....probably did it in readiness for surgery and then noticed the scar.
How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed – TheCatSite Articles
Spaying And Neutering – What To Look For After Surgery – TheCatSite Articles

You might look for low cost spaying through a local shelter or rescue group. There are some suggestions in the first article. The second explains about the use of a cone to protect the incision. Some people use onesies instead. I have spayed a number of feral females who stayed overnight at the vet and were released the next day outside. That was the only option. Everyone healed and no one went missing.

If the vet were to shave the cat's tummy and see a scar, that is the end of it. The likelihood of her not having been spayed are very slim. If he does not, you know that she needs to be fixed.

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is extremely friendly and when I found her she was super thin and an absolute mess so given that the vet thinks she is 2-3 yes I think someone abandoned her in the cornfields because she wasn’t able to survive on her own.
Is there a way I could shave the belly to see? I promise I’m not anti vet I just want to do anything and everything I can first if its not urgent.
And no her ears don’t have any notches or anything they are the cutest wittle ears ever.
Thank you for the links Ill look at them both!

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is extremely friendly and when I found her she was super thin and an absolute mess so given that the vet thinks she is 2-3 yes I think someone abandoned her in the cornfields because she wasn’t able to survive on her own.
Is there a way I could shave the belly to see? I promise I’m not anti vet I just want to do anything and everything I can first if its not urgent.
And no her ears don’t have any notches or anything they are the cutest wittle ears ever.
Thank you for the links Ill look at them both!
Or if like I went in to get her chipped could I ask them to shave her tummy and they would do that no charge?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Cutting or clipping the hair is one way to go if you feel confident that you would be able to determine if there were a scar. Sometimes these are fairly well healed if they were done properly. None of my animals go to groomers, so I don't know if they would do this as a courtesy, but certainly it would not cost much. How is she with going into a carrier and being handled by strangers? Does she let you look at her tummy area comfortably?

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cutting or clipping the hair is one way to go if you feel confident that you would be able to determine if there were a scar. Sometimes these are fairly well healed if they were done properly. None of my animals go to groomers, so I don't know if they would do this as a courtesy, but certainly it would not cost much. How is she with going into a carrier and being handled by strangers? Does she let you look at her tummy area comfortably?
She doesn’t really like her carrier. She likes my dogs though so I don’t think its being in a carrier just that his is (understandably) bigger.
She is extremely friendly and doesn’t seem to have a problem with strangers as long as they treat her with respect.
She is a short haired cat so grooming really isn’t necessary. I just comb her fur sometimes in hope it will mean less shedding.
Sometimes she loves tummy scritches and sometimes my hand gets stuck. So I would have to try a time when she is wanting attention. But if they are hard to find it’s probably easier (and less painful for both of us) if a professional looked.

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so I lost my cat recently. She was found. I have her back.
But the people who found her says she is a boy. They said see look at its but see that fluffy round spot? That means boy.
I am really confused because
1. pretty sure she has nipples (tried to take a photo I’ll attach it.
2. I took her to the vet and said it was a girl. I would think that if you can tell just by looking at the butt any vet would have corrected me. Because that means very different health issues, behavior things etc in the future.
First photo (bad I know but she didn’t want to stay still) is of the area that looks like a nipple to me.
Second is of the crotch area.
I cant get a photo of her but yet but Ill keep trying
170A2AD2-B144-4F37-8F43-A6ACE5090F12.jpeg
701D2CE0-2006-4749-9998-0E3E5487632F.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Male cats have nipples too, so that doesn't tell you anything. And, I cannot tell by those pics. Can you call the vet you took her to and see what they have noted on the office visit record?

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I just called two vets that were recommended to me. And one price was 234$ and one was 426. The one that said 426 said it was more expensive because she is an adult. I didn’t think to mention that to the first one because I said spay my cat not my kitten. According to your link 425$ is waaaay over expected. But was your list aimed more at kittens?

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Male cats have nipples too, so that doesn't tell you anything. And, I cannot tell by those pics. Can you call the vet you took her to and see what they have noted on the office visit record?
They put her down as a she because thats what I said. They also did talk through spaying options but again I don’t know if they actually checked or if they just took what I thought at face value.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is a huge amount for spaying. I take ferals to my own cat vet as opposed to a TNR organization (only for convenience and not because those groups do not provide a great service) and he charges about $145 for a female and about $90 for a male. Even in this area, that is high. I have brought in adults on a regular basis and was not charged any more because of that. In some areas, low cost spaying and neutering is opening up. You might check around to see if there are any in your area. I also cannot tell from the pics.

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a huge amount for spaying. I take ferals to my own cat vet as opposed to a TNR organization (only for convenience and not because those groups do not provide a great service) and he charges about $145 for a female and about $90 for a male. Even in this area, that is high. I have brought in adults on a regular basis and was not charged any more because of that. In some areas, low cost spaying and neutering is opening up. You might check around to see if there are any in your area. I also cannot tell from the pics.
I just went to a nearby vet to ask about costs time frame and what it looked like. They said it would be like 350$ After I mentioned it was a stray they said I could take it to the shelter down the street and get it done for under 100$ so yeah definitely going that route.
Thank you for your advice. It makes me feel more at ease using the shelter and being reluctant to fork out that much money.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy cats have nipples too ;). Just like male humans. If you post a picture of the kitty's back end I'll give it a try, but he/she seems kinda fluffy so unless it's a male with big testicles it might be hard to tell. Take the picture straight from the back, with the cat standing up, with their tail held up. Most cats will put their tail up if you scratch their back so give that a try.

Yeah, I've had good experiences with low-cost spay/neuter clinics, I wouldn't hesitate to use the shelter's service.

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boy cats have nipples too ;). Just like male humans. If you post a picture of the kitty's back end I'll give it a try, but he/she seems kinda fluffy so unless it's a male with big testicles it might be hard to tell. Take the picture straight from the back, with the cat standing up, with their tail held up. Most cats will put their tail up if you scratch their back so give that a try.

Yeah, I've had good experiences with low-cost spay/neuter clinics, I wouldn't hesitate to use the shelter's service.
Yeah under my cats butthole is just a poofy patch of fur. If there is anything I can’t see it.
Also good to know. I have never had cats before only family dogs so I was unthinkingly using that as a guide line.
*well cooper has nutz so…..* well cooper doesn’t have nipples…*
Ill try to be more aware of when Im making assumptions.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boy dogs have nipples too. . .all male mammals have nipples except for a few species (mice/rats, and horses for some odd reason, even though male bovines have rudimentary teats).

He/she probably isn't an intact male, because you probably would see those even through the fluff. Maybe the shelter employees could take a look before you schedule a surgery.

Last edited: