Spaying a cat: actual research showing the pros/cons? Experiences with low-cost spay clinics as opposed to private vets?

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, all. I was reading through a 2014 post re pros/cons of spaying a cat. We took in my kitty -- who seemed to be living in our yard during the rainy months of November and we had twice found curled up on our porch mat last July -- and she accidentally got out in Jan. and had 5 perfect kittens. It was so hard for us to give away 3 that we decided to keep 2. One is male.
I can't tell whether she had kittens before. Before she got out and got pregnant, she had 2 prominent nipples. We think she is a few years old. I've read that the 1st litter is often just a few kittens, and the 2nd is 4-6 kittens.
Because we adopted out kittens to very responsible owners, they'll all be spayed/neutered. That means she won't get to carry on her line -- unless she had kittens before, and no way to tell.
That's one area of hesitation. Another is that all the cat rescues refer me to one low-cost spay/neuter clinic, whereas the local vet is $500. I just don't know about going to an "assembly line" type of place.
It seems that spaying will change her personality. On the other hand, going through heat again is too hard on us and the cat. And we've got to neuter the male kitten very soon because we can't have mating inappropriately.
I know there are unwanted cats. I'm extremely glad she had kittens, however. We could have given all to good homes. We got lucky in that they were all perfectly healthy and wonderful with no problems.
In the 2014 thread, I read about a condition that can occur if cats are in heat and not bred. I would like to find out more about actual evidence -- obviously there can be reproductive cancers (as there could be with any woman or man)but how common is this? I'm looking for actual data.
There are wonderful people in the rescue community but I am the type who thinks for myself. When she got out and we weren't sure if she was pregnant, one rescue volunteer was trying to convince me to spay her anyway. She told me all about how cat penises have barbs, etc. etc. and did I want to pay for a cat ceasarean section (sp)? She said that pregnancy was very hard on cats. I then called around to vets and tried to learn the probability of a cat ceasarean. They said they'd never done one, and that the vast majority of cats give birth with no problems and do everything themelves.
I asked the vets whether cats who had had litters had a lower life expectancy. They said no. I mean, I really researched this because I wanted to be comfortable with my choice. I asked 3 good friends. One said that when she was pregnant with her 4th child, the dr. actually asked her whether she wanted to bring another child into the world, because there were too many.
But the big problem is that if we don't spay her we love her too much to let her out the door to breed. Cars, coyotes, etc. I don't know how other people breed cats without just letting them out.
Any thoughts on above would be much appreciated - esp. exp. with low-cost spay clinics as opposed to private vets. Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I spay/neuter every animal, dog or cat, who crosses my path. The one female feral who was untrappable, even with my calling a professional trapper, had litter after litter....and yes, they were adorable and all got homes miraculously....and finally died having the last litter due to complications. We found her bleeding, too weak to do anything at that point, surrounded by dead and dying kittens.

I do believe that it is much better for overall health to spay a female and absolutely do not believe that the world needs any more litters who will face homelessness and uncertain futures. Right now in my neighborhood there are several posts on Nextdoor asking for help fostering, adopting, removing recent litters born in back yards and wood piles. Female cats can fall prey to several reproductive organ disorders which can be fatal.

I never use low cost spay and neuter services but have to say that since I never have, because I am lazy, I cannot say for one minute that they are irresponsible or incompetent. Friends have used them and no one has ever reported a complication. One of my vets allows me to walk in with any feral in a trap at any time and he spays or neuters. Yes, he is expensive and this is LA. About $200 for a female and about $150 for a male. The reason I don't use low cost is that I don't want to have to meet their scheduling requirements.

Almost any rescue will encourage you to fix a cat. I have no issue with a spay/abort but have had others become confrontational about that.....always people who had no intention of adopting a kitten if they had been born.

I have never had a personality change for worse in a dog or cat, male or female, who was fixed. Usually the change is for the better and in the case of a cat the heat cycle which can be hard on everyone will not recur. One cat I rescued as an adult went into heat before I could get her to my vet and it was unbearable for both of us.

If this cat is your pet, she should stay inside and be fixed so that she does not have to face heat cycles which will only cause her discomfort. It sounds as if you are a very dedicated cat lover and have taken good care of this cat and her kittens. If you spay her, I think that you will make life easier for all of you.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think I'd be more concerned about Pyometra than cancer in an unspayed cat (aside from an unwanted pregnancy). I believe the cancer most associated with not getting them spayed would be mammary cancer, and that is fairly rare, but DOES happen.

You referred to a thread from 2014. Was that here on this site? If so, can you link us to that thread and provide a little more information about what exactly you what to know about whatever was in that thread? Maybe provide the post number from the thread as well?

BTW, we adopted a female who was spayed at one and one half years of age and she was the sweetest little girl. I don't know what she ws like BEFORE, but don't know how she could have been any better. And she remained a petite little thing her entire life. I'm sure she was spayed by a low cost clinic because the shelter where we adopted her had it done before they put her up for adoption, and they can't afford "top of the line" services.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
High-volume spay/neuter clinics are very good at the surgeries, since that's basically all they do. I have actually had better experiences there than at private vets. But they just do the basics so if you have a cat who's likely to have complications (heart problem, immune disorder, etc.) it's better to go to a vet who has a fully equipped hospital.

I prefer not to live with an unspayed cat, lol. I suppose not all of them are obnoxious while in heat but most are and. . .nope.

I've never met a female that had a dramatic personality change after being spayed. A lot of males get mellower but females just act like themselves when they aren't in heat.

Breeding a pet cat isn't the greatest idea. Even if you can find homes for all the kittens, what about the other kittens that person may have adopted instead? One local shelter here just put on Facebook that they currently have over 40 kittens available :/. There just aren't enough homes.

Anyway, she's done her part :D. To maintain the current cat population, half of females can be allowed to have one litter (well the math is slightly more complicated because males often breed multiple females and of course mortality rates have to be considered but that's the gist of it).

Here are a few studies/articles.
Pyometra in Cats

Reproductive Disorders of Female Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual

Incidence of pyometra in Swedish insured cats

Pyometra in Cats - Animal Clinic at Thorndale, p.c.

Pros and Cons of Spaying/Neutering in Cats | Riverside Animal

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Above is 2014 post. And thanks! To clarify, trying to find those who have used the low-cost places and their experience with them. I find it a little worrisome that every rescue I've talked to says they heartily recommend the low-cost place, yet none of these rescue places knows anyone who works there or has, really, any info about them.
Also, the low-cost place requires pets to stay overnight, yet there is no one there watching them -- or even checking in on them.
Is there a shot for feline leukemia, to prevent cats from getting? Can it be transmitted? thanks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find it a little worrisome that every rescue I've talked to says they heartily recommend the low-cost place, yet none of these rescue places knows anyone who works there or has, really, any info about them.
You can call the low-cost place yourself to ask how they do things. Many low-cost places are staffed by local vets and techs who each volunteer one day a month (or whatever), unless it's busy enough to have full-time staff.

There is a Feline Leukemia vaccine but it's only about 80% effective and is slightly more likely to cause a bad reaction than the other vaccines so it's not generally recommended for indoor cats.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree with the above saying that pyrometra would be a more common risk for intact cats than cancer, but in addition to acute problems that can occur from not spaying there is also the fact that being in heat is unpleasant and stressful for cats, especially if they don’t mate. Additionally, their drive to find a male cat when they’re in heat goes all crazy, and some cats become absolutely determined escape artists because of it. Having a cat run off is bad enough, you definitely don’t also want to worry about the cat coming back pregnant.

All my cats have been spayed/neutered at high volume clinics because they all came from city animal shelters and the surgery was done before adoption. I would have no issue taking a young, healthy cat to the local county spay/neuter clinic here, it’s staffed by vets who’ve done thousands and thousands of these operations and the facility is very well equipped and clean. However if I somehow ended up with a cat right now who needed to be spayed I’d probably just go to my regular vet, mostly because I can afford to and would feel bad taking up a slot at the low-cost clinic when there are a lot of people who need it more.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've dealt with pyometra multiple times in cats. You do not want to mess around with this. Pyometra can be life threatening. It also necessitates a very expensive emergency spay, significantly riskier than a routine spay, and causing the cat much more misery than a routine spay. It's really preferable to spay her while she's healthy.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the others have covered the benefits of altering already so won't get into that much. As far as low cost clinics go, there are good ones and not so good ones. Indy was spayed by our vet (AAHA accredited clinic) and it went very well, however these clinics will not put an animal under anisthetic without a blood test and clean bill of health. They use monitoring (EKG, pulse etc) while the animal is under. They also hold the animal for observation until the anisthetic has run its course. I think it is these extra precautions that bump up the price.

Low cost clinics will typically discharge the same day and may or may not use monitoring equipment. There are some that are sketchy though so do a bit of research beforehand.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dr. Karen Becker has a video on spaying and neutering. Sorry I couldnt post the link. As far as I remember she says there is no danger to cat health by spaying. I had to spay minish since she's indoors and my vet told me before puberty reduces cancer risks (multiple). Minish put on weight after spaying but some cats don't. Since she was not yet grown up I don't know about any changes to her personality. I also had a stray spayed, after puberty during her first pregnancy. She was outdoors and I knew her since kitten. She was the same person no changes at all.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shelter had Selene spayed before I could take her home, but if they hadn't, I would've done it. I can say without a doubt that she is the same sweet, friendly cat I first met.

Unless you are a professional breeder, or there is a medical issue preventing surgery, I advocate spaying and neutering. It makes the animal's life easier, as well as yours.

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so so much! I did email the clinic and ask some of the detailed ? per the above - like I literally went to the response and cut/pasted into the email!
I haven't checked on the AAHA accreditation, though. But I do have one more ? - that is, I would feel better about cutting off her reproductive future (she is a gorgeous, gorgeous cat) if she had had ktitens before the litter w me. But I've been told that sometimes vets can't even tell. As I said above, when we got her she had 2 prominent nipples. Not terribly prominent - it's just that in feeling around I found 2 - on either side,1 at top, 1 at bottom.
And, what if we did want to breed her female kitten? I'm just saying what if; I don't think we're going to. how do people do it without letting cat out?

8kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so so much! I did email the clinic and ask some of the detailed ? per the above - like I literally went to the response and cut/pasted into the email!
I haven't checked on the AAHA accreditation, though. But I do have one more ? - that is, I would feel better about cutting off her reproductive future (she is a gorgeous, gorgeous cat) if she had had ktitens before the litter w me. But I've been told that sometimes vets can't even tell. As I said above, when we got her she had 2 prominent nipples. Not terribly prominent - it's just that in feeling around I found 2 - on either side,1 at top, 1 at bottom.
And, what if we did want to breed her female kitten? I'm just saying what if; I don't think we're going to. how do people do it without letting cat out?
Please read this page: The Kitten Crisis — Kitten Lady

Screenshot_2020-06-24_21-37-26.png

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Professional breeders usually have facilities specifically designed to contain animals and many even have designated stud and queen rooms.

These animals are worth thousands in some cases so breeders aim for the best care possible.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm talking about people interested in breeding for the integrity of the breed not backyard breeders or kitten farms.

The only reason to breed a cat is if the cat has papers and comes from a good bloodline. These breeders are licensed and actively show their animals. They make people adopting a "pet quality" kitten who may have markings or features that don't meet their breed standards (a Siamese with slightly crossed eyes for example) sign a agreement that when the animals are of age they will be fixed.

Last edited:

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi; thanks again! I certainly don't want to be a professional breeder; I just mean, what if you wanted a cat to have one litter before spaying them; how would you do it? How have others done it? Without just letting them out, which is dangerous?
And, again, although I'm sure this is not always the case, w Covid, we actually had 4 possible homes for the 2 remaining kittens had we not decided to keep them. And this was just word of mouth; there were several more networks of people to whom I could have sent emails. Currently there are a total of 18 cats available for adoption in the 2 lgest humane societies in 2 diff. counties nearest to me. That is for a population of about 1.6 million people. In one of these humane societies, there is literally only 1 dog available for adoption.

Does any1 have exp. figuring out whether rescue cat has given birth before? Thx

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most pet cat pregnancies are because she let herself out ;). Cats in heat can be quite the escape artists.

Dogs are really a whole different thing than cats; it's very easy to prevent an unplanned dog pregnancy because they have regular, clearly defined heat periods, and are usually kept on leash or in a fence. Very few areas in the US now have any dog overpopulation problems. But cats do what cats do.

I'm not sure if there's any way to tell if a cat has had a previous pregnancy. Why does that make a difference? As I mentioned, one litter is plenty for her to replace herself in the world.

If you love having kittens, you could see if any rescue agencies in the area need foster homes. Shelters often can't keep newborns around so they really need help!