Spaying 3 year old cat.

jekyllsmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I'm not sure if I've posted in the right part but here goes!

My cat is 3 years old and tomorrow she's getting spayed, finally. I wish I had of been in the position to have done it when she was younger but she had other health issues that needed my attention and money first.

Unfortunately she's just come on heat, it's been one full day now, the vet said its fine and they are happy to do the procedure.

A number of people have told me that it's risky and that I should wait until she's finished her heat cycle then book her in. I'm sticking with my appointment because I trust my vets opinion, I was just hoping for some advise!

Thanks.

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When an animals in heat they tend to bleed more due to the tissue of the reproductive system being inflamed. As long as she doesn't have any underlying health issues this normally doesn't cause any issues for the animal just extra surgery time (and usually a larger bill). I've seen many cats at my clinic spayed while in heat and never saw any complications arise from it. My only recommendation is to make sure they run bloodwork before the procedure.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are pretty much always in heat during mating season. When exactly is her surgery? One vet I talked to said that it is'nt really a big deal to spay a cat or rabbit in heat but he doesn't like to spay dogs in heat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jekyllsmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just dropped her at the vet then. Surgery is in about an hour. They are very confident in doing it while she is on heat, but said that they'd never spay a dog while on heat. Im sure she's going to be fine, I just worry too much.

ravynwriter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chances are she'll be just fine. I've had two cats that were spayed while pregnant (did not know they were pregnant until they were already under anesthesia) and they were just fine.

There is an increased bleeding risk but it's almost impossible to get a cat in for a spay once they've started going in heat, they cycle so fast. Some cats never seem to come OUT of heat once they start.

Good luck and best wishes for your girl!

jekyllsmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, so. I have no idea what's going on with her! My partner and I picked her up this afternoon at about 4:30. The vet told us, that she'd be groggy and will want to sleep and to only feed her tiny amounts of food otherwise she may sick.

She's done the complete opposite. It's now 10:18 pm.. She has not slept once. I'm not even exaggerating. She just refuses to sleep, she's more affectionate and howling more then she was before going in! She won't stop eating her biscuits.. It's like nothing even happened today! Should I be worried that the procedure wasn't done properly?

jekyllsmummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd also like to add that we got her at 10 weeks, she just turned 3 and in that entire time she's gone on heat maybe 5 times.

It could be more, but she's only had the howling and smooching 5 times. Each time lasting no more then 7 days. The last time before now was late August.