Spayed twice

goonie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
at the beginning of summer this brownish/orange Tabby showed up at my house after dark. i've been feeding a neighborhood Stray called Munchkin for almost 2 years now. he's fixed but i still can't touch him. so i guess she found the catfood and started coming by about every night. she was so shy that if i happened to go outside while she was there she'd take of across the street and wouldn't come back til the next night.

then about 2 weeks ago she started to get pretty vocal, start yowling and rub herself against anything in her path. she looks like about 9 mo. one night while she was eating my neighbor started moving closer and closer to her whenever she wasn't looking and then touched her. that changed everything and now she wants you to pet her all the time.

so last night i locked her in the garage and my friend and i  took her in to get her spayed. i live half mile from UCR and we think one of the students just dumped her when they left beginning of summer.

at 10am the phone rings and the girl from the vet called and said 'what made you think she wasn't spayed? it looks like she is. we can't find the Uterus. we checked for the spayscar before we started and couldn't find that either. i told her that from the way she acted she was in heat. then she said that sometimes when they get spayed really young the scar can disappear. and if there's a tiny bit of uterus tissue or whatever left it can make them go through the motions of a heat cycle again.

i'd never heard of that til the previous night when i was looking through a catcare book. i thought that really strange.

so for now she's the 'garage kitty' til i can find a home for her. she's very sweet and loving. also very vocal. there's no way i can keep her. i have 10 already. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, it is quite easy to miss some of the ovary tissue, which is also producing the hormones in question.

Thus, not unique to having spayed, yet behaving like in heat.

If the vet doesnt take away the resting tissue under the next spaying (they apparently did open her)

so she must live on with it.   Seaking after this extra tissue is quite messy and takes time, so I understand he doesnt bother in a low quicky budget spaying.

A friendly late neutered cat, who still remember how to do it, may be the remedy.   :)

Some breeders do so with their queens.

Pity you got to pay for this spaying which wasnt necessary.

Good luck!