Spayed mama and kitten trapped together?

lonepinegirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a feral mom and kittens in the yard. I've trapped, spayed and placed all but one kitten. Mom has been spayed. Tried to trap kitten but trapped both mom and kitten in same trap. (Same thing happened when I trapped mom and other kittens, one hitched ride with mom to shelter). I don't want mom to make an unnecessary trip to the TNR clinic (not sure what they would do with her while kitty is being fixed), so I set both free. I need to keep trying until the remaining kitten is fixed. Any suggestions on how to aim mom/kitten into separate traps? Any idea if its ok to take both to TNR clinic even though mom is already spayed? Kitten is now about 12-13 weeks old.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have taken the Mom and kitten as now the kitten will be most difficult to trap. You will just have to keep trying with different stinky irresistible food. You could also try a drop trap.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Several options -

- After being trapped twice now, Momma may finally be discouraged from going into the trap, so you might not have this issue anymore regardless of what you do!

- Do you have a trap divider? If so, you might be able to separate Mom and kitten that way if they end up trapped together again. Then you can let Momma out without letting the kitten out.

- Make (or buy) a kitten screen. Depending on how old/big the kitten is, you can buy one from Tomahawk - Trap Accessories :: Feral Cat Trap Accessories :: Kitten Screen

Otherwise, take a look at the Tomahawk screen, and make one out of cardboard. That way you can make the entry a little bigger if you need to. Just zip tie it to the inside of the trap near the front!

Thank you for taking care of these guys!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I would have taken the Mom and kitten as now the kitten will be most difficult to trap. You will just have to keep trying with different stinky irresistible food. You could also try a drop trap.
Try different ways of camouflaging the trap too. Cover the bottom with leaves, stick, dirt, etc, and hide it in shrubbery or just cover it with some leaves or branches.

You can also cut out a sort of “cardboard sleeve” for the outside of the trap.

A blanket or tarp over the trap may also work!