Spayed get only eating dry food. Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, boiled ChIcken with broth is not nutritionally complete. It can be a treat or way to get more hydration. Make sure no bones or seasonings like salt in the broth.

Do you have access to Zooplus or Chewy? They sell nutritional supplements to make raw or cooked food complete.
No, i am afraid they don't have it here

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The primordial pouch that hangs in some cats isn't fat just skin.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah she doesn't look fat to the eye but she has a hanging abdominal pad, there's too much of fat there
Many, many cats have this same thing, the primordial pouch. Even our thinner cat has one! Your cat is also fluffy, which can make a cat seem heavier than it really is. Even taking her fur into account, she doesn't look overweight at all. She's a beautiful cat.

Most important, please feed your cat a full diet so she can get enough nutrients -- and enough food in general! -- to grow and develop. A lack of nutrients (taurine, for example) can cause very serious health problems. If you're convinced that she's overweight, please take her to the vet so a professional can assess what her weight and diet should be at her age. At her age, most cats are fed as much as they'll eat.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly at 9 months (or 10) I’d still have her on kitten food and switch to adult at around 12 months. She could still be growing and needs the extra protein/calories. As others have said, the chicken is fine as a treat but should not be considered a staple in her diet. Wild cats get their nutrients from organs, not just meat. Since we don’t feed our cats organs (unless you’re doing raw) then you need to provide a balanced cat food. Cats can develop fatal heart disease even as a kitten if they aren’t fed a balanced diet.

My girls get a little under 1/4 cup three times a day and are not fat so I’m a bit worried about your girl only getting 1/4 cup a day with the chicken? I might have misunderstood. And some cats just have a large primordial pouch. She’s at the age where you’ll start to notice it more. Feed her based on what she needs body-composition wise not based on breed, pounds/kgs, whether she’s spayed, etc. Her ribs shouldn’t feel prominent and you want to just see a little tuck to her waist from above, nothing drastic.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No type of food would guarantee not gaining weight if your cat is like minish :) weight control can be attained with various measures. The problem with dry food is high carbs and low hydration. In my country good wet food is very very expensive (there are bad wet foods as well). So I did what you had, dry + boiled chicken. Better than all dry I think. If you can't afford wet food, you can try different foods and broths, maybe your cat will like them. Raw food is also an option, if you can prepare properly.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly at 9 months (or 10) I’d still have her on kitten food and switch to adult at around 12 months. She could still be growing and needs the extra protein/calories. As others have said, the chicken is fine as a treat but should not be considered a staple in her diet. Wild cats get their nutrients from organs, not just meat. Since we don’t feed our cats organs (unless you’re doing raw) then you need to provide a balanced cat food. Cats can develop fatal heart disease even as a kitten if they aren’t fed a balanced diet.

My girls get a little under 1/4 cup three times a day and are not fat so I’m a bit worried about your girl only getting 1/4 cup a day with the chicken? I might have misunderstood. And some cats just have a large primordial pouch. She’s at the age where you’ll start to notice it more. Feed her based on what she needs body-composition wise not based on breed, pounds/kgs, whether she’s spayed, etc. Her ribs shouldn’t feel prominent and you want to just see a little tuck to her waist from above, nothing drastic.
Is your cat also spayed?

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No type of food would guarantee not gaining weight if your cat is like minish :) weight control can be attained with various measures. The problem with dry food is high carbs and low hydration. In my country good wet food is very very expensive (there are bad wet foods as well). So I did what you had, dry + boiled chicken. Better than all dry I think. If you can't afford wet food, you can try different foods and broths, maybe your cat will like them. Raw food is also an option, if you can prepare properly.
My cats don't like raw at all. They would only eat boiled chicken and nothing else since that is what they've been eating since they were about 3 months of age.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is your cat also spayed?
Yes they are both spayed. If my girls start looking chubby then I cut them back *a little bit* (rapid weight loss in cats can lead to a form of transient liver disease that can require temporary hospitalization until they’re stabilized). Like I said, feed according to your girl’s body composition. If you want to get a baseline, you can take her to your vet as they’ll be able to actually put hands on her to evaluate.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes they are both spayed. If my girls start looking chubby then I cut them back *a little bit* (rapid weight loss in cats can lead to a form of transient liver disease that can require temporary hospitalization until they’re stabilized). Like I said, feed according to your girl’s body composition. If you want to get a baseline, you can take her to your vet as they’ll be able to actually put hands on her to evaluate.
How old are your cats? Are they playful?