Spayed Feral, when to release?

stacy_s

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again. In my previous thread, "Oral Contraception", I posted that I was able to trap and spay my feral. She had her surgery Wednesday afternoon and I have been keeping her in a kennel so she can recover. I was planning on releasing her on Monday, is that too soon? She has been ok in the kennel until last night when she was trying to get out, especially when she heard my other cats meowing. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I TRY to keep females for 3 days afterward, and this mostly works. But one female was so wild and stressed that I let her go the next day, figuring that stress would be worse for her than being loose, and that the chances of her hurting herself in her cage were higher than the chances of her being harmed by being released too soon. She was fine (and, ironically, is now tame and is mostly a housecat!). So whatever works best for this kitty will be fine.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could release in two days. I usually keep them caged for three days, but it is not necessary. Especially if they were trapped right in your yard, then they know the territory. If they are being relocated after TNR, then it must be much longer so they stick around and know where their food, shelter and new territory is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacy_s

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I was so afraid Mon. would be too soon. So I might even let her out tomorrow if she's stressed but she's been calm most of the day today. She just had a couple episodes and they were over pretty quick. So I'll play it by ear but Monday will be the latest. She's going to be one happy camper! Thanks again!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by stacy_s

I was so afraid Mon. would be too soon.
At least one week is recommended for family, indoor females.

Ferales and semiferales and successfull dumped, are made of tough wood. Sorrowfully, because the "not so tough" dont make it very long...

but for resuers and tnr- workers it has the nice bi-effect their recovery period may be much shorter than for the average family cat.

So the difference is NOT because you do care very much about your family pet,
but perhaps not so much about a homeless. No.

The long time survivors are almost their own species.

Good luck!

stacy_s

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I ended up letting her go a couple hours ago. She must've been trying to get out during the night because her litter box was standing upright, her food and water were spilled over and covered by the blankets that were strewn about. Then all morning she cried and cried. She perked right up when she smelled the outside air and ran like the wind when I opened the crate. I hope she'll be ok and also that she'll still come around. I'm sure she's pretty ticked at me right now. Thanks again to everyone!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might stay gone for as long as 3 days (although, IME, that's usually the toms who do that). But they always come back

stacy_s

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I so hope she comes back by then. So far I have not seen her. I thought for sure yesterday she would come around at her usual time but that didn't happen. Also, I have been worried sick over one of the kittens, the female. I haven't seen her since yesterday morning. I don't think she is with the mama because she didn't want the kittens around her any more, she would growl and smack them. So it's been mama by herself and the 4 kittens together for about 2 weeks now. Every morning all the kittens come running out of my peonies, which is where they must sleep at night. (even though I just bought them a pretty nice house, figures lol) This a.m. only the three boys came out. I'm so worried now. I wonder if there is a chance the mama "took back" the girl kitten. Thanks again everyone!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by stacy_s

I wonder if there is a chance the mama "took back" the girl kitten.
Could be. Momas has often easier for half big girls than half big boys...

Good luck!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't worry about mom kitty. After release, they usually won't keep to their exact feeding schedule for a few days, in my experience. But then once they settle down after their incident, they usually start back on their regular schedule AND even start hanging around on and off all day since they don't have those raging hormones anymore and no need to roam. As for the kittens, I doubt she took back only one, unless the little girl followed mom somewhere. I guess anything is possible. Hope the little girl kitten comes back very soon. Mom can take care of herself, don't fret over it...

stacy_s

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, well, well....mama came just now and with the girl kitten! She was rubbing all over everything, my patio chairs, fire pit, all the kittens, my neighbor's cat. Then she even came right up to me and let me pet her??!!! She has never come closer than 1 foot to me and when she did she would hiss and spit at me. I have had females spayed many times but I've never seen them act like this. She's acting more like she's going into labor. Then they all left together, even my neighbor's cat lol. This seems very odd to me, is this normal? I'm so glad they are both back though, I was so worried.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to think they're grateful. . .I think cats who have had too many litters appreciate being relieved of that burden. But maybe after spending 3 days inside with you she decided you aren't so bad after all

mwolf1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just took in 2 feral kitten brothers that came from a long distance. A rescue group trapped them , they are neutered. I want to release them in my yard but will wait at least a month, they are in my spare bathroom. Need advice on releasing them. We are coming on to thanksgiving, should I wait intil after Christmas? I hope to intro them to heated cat house while they are inside.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just took in 2 feral kitten brothers that came from a long distance. A rescue group trapped them , they are neutered. I want to release them in my yard but will wait at least a month, they are in my spare bathroom. Need advice on releasing them. We are coming on to thanksgiving, should I wait intil after Christmas? I hope to intro them to heated cat house while they are inside.
Have you thought about socializing them and keeping them inside?  After living inside your home for 4-6 weeks, they may really like it and inside is definitely the safest place for them. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with ShadowsRescue. Inside is safest. But if you must release them outside, they will need to be confined for up to another month, so they can recognize your yard as their new territory. They are already learning that about your house.

A shed or screen porch can be used. If you can, get a kennel. You will have to secure the sides and roof with wire, so they can't escape.

Thank you for helping them!

Last edited:

Jose Ramirez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have adopted 2 feral cats and have had them in a chicken Coop for a month, giving them fresh food and water and changing their litter box daily. They poop a lot. We now want to release them into our half acre fenced yard. Do we just open the coop doors and hope they return. Do we keep the food, water and litter in the coop or do we put it outside of the coop. We are in a semi rural area and they can get out of the fenced area if they want.