Spayed Female Urinating On Vertical Surfaces

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Friends!
We're the idiots with 12 indoor cats..but we have about 14 litter boxes that get scooped 2x a day. 1600 sq ft house. No kids or dogs. Happy marriage, no arguing! =)
One of our females, Neko, pees inappropriately in various locations throughout the house. She's been checked out by vet and is not sick. She's 6 years old and was spayed at about 4 months of age. We have a ton of cats, but they all get along and hang out together in groups. They all have their "spots"--lots of beds, lots of attention. I am beside myself because she is just so BAD. She does yowl a lot so we wonder if the spay surgery was incomplete. Vet said they would have to OPEN HER UP again to tell..ugh. I can tell when is she is going to go pee somewhere other than the box..she kinda mills around, meows some, then just backs up to a door and pees on it. I've tried everything--either getting mad or being super sweet, kind, and understanding doesn't seem to make any difference.
She is gradually ruining many of the wood surfaces in the house and has even peed on a radiator! Sigh.
If anyone has ANY Ideas, I would love to hear them. I fear she would do better as an only cat but we've had her most of her life and I've never had to rehome a kitty. Makes me really sad.
Thank you for any advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi and thanks! We've tried Feliway and it doesn't seem to do anything. ..Cat Attract litter sort of helps, but we don't like using it because it's really dusty and bad for our asthma kitty.
I guess I should ask if anyone has gone the Prozac route and did it help. We've been adding Canna-Pet to her food but not sure that is helping either. Sigh.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try increasing her canned food, decreasing the dry food?

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! No one gets any dry food at our house because one of our boys has had crystals. =(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a hormone test they can do to see if they missed anything when she was spayed? I'm stumped, because canned food works with my cats when they have pee problems. I'm not sure what else you could try, it seems like you've tried everything.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a hormone test they can do to see if they missed anything when she was spayed? I'm stumped, because canned food works with my cats when they have pee problems. I'm not sure what else you could try, it seems like you've tried everything.
Hi Maggiedemi,
Whoops, I realized I didn't answer your question. The vet said the only real way to tell if the spay was complete was to open her up--that hormone tests were inaccurate. I trust her opinion. BUT if you know something I don't, please chime in!
Neko might just be plain evil. (I'm half kidding). She's the one who bullied my boy Hooper so badly that he developed urinary problems. He has his own room now (tall baby gate that he can squeeze through but she can't). This just kills me though. She CAN be so nice..big, black, plush, polydactyl lummox of a kitty, who purrs like crazy when you hug her. Her sister is fine and no behavioral issues. I don't want to give her back to my friend's rescue, I would just feel like a huge jerk.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your friend at the rescue have any ideas about what to do?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry it's been going on so long. :sigh: You probably can't remember exactly when it started, but I wonder if something changed in your house at that time?

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi again! We have too many cats..but Neko really is the problem child. All the others are good, even the 3 former ferals.