Spayed Cat... Now Pregnant?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I was caring my colony, food, water, etc, and I saw one of the cats with a big round belly. I had noticed that belly a few days ago, but today it seemed bigger, rounder.
It was as the cat is pregnant!

The fact is that the cat was spayed in February.

The question is, how is it likely that a spayed cat might be pregnant?
I know that sometimes, spayed cats can go in heat due to a tiny remnant of ovarian tissue in the abdomen. But is it possible that a (larger) fragment of ovarian tissue might be large enough to let the cat become pregnant?

I already sent an email to the vets who spayed her, but I don't think they will reply before Monday.
I need to know.
Thanks!

IMG_20190907_145713.jpg

The photo is low quality, it was taken with my phone, from a distance, while the cat was walking away, but the round belly is visible.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she pregnant or maybe getting her winter fur? Shaman looks like that all the time but has never had kittens. She's more noticeably like that day by day nearing end of summer. I'm not sure though as first feral cats for me. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I was caring my colony, food, water, etc, and I saw one of the cats with a big round belly. I had noticed that belly a few days ago, but today it seemed bigger, rounder.
It was as the cat is pregnant!

The fact is that the cat was spayed in February.

The question is, how is it likely that a spayed cat might be pregnant?
I know that sometimes, spayed cats can go in heat due to a tiny remnant of ovarian tissue in the abdomen. But is it possible that a (larger) fragment of ovarian tissue might be large enough to let the cat become pregnant?

I already sent an email to the vets who spayed her, but I don't think they will reply before Monday.
I need to know.
Thanks!

View attachment 299058

The photo is low quality, it was taken with my phone, from a distance, while the cat was walking away, but the round belly is visible.
Is it like that on both sides???

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
She is round all around :)
Right, left and bottom.
It does sound n look like shes pregnant.....But it could be something causing some swelling around the belly also..Yes definitely since shes been fixed I would DEFINITELY get her checked out by the VET...Is there another vet u could take her too...being u said the other one was closed or something..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vets who spayed her are closed half Saturdays and Sundays.
They will be open regularly Monday to Saturday morning.
The real problem is that trapping that cat again is close to impossible!
I took two months to have her into my trap cage, she won't ever walk into that thing again! :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if an ovarian remnant is left, enough to produce hormones, it shouldn't be enough to produce eggs. And the uterus is usually removed during a spay too, although I understand some European vets don't remove the uterus. So, no, not pregnant, unless the vet really botched something up. Definitely have her checked by the vet; it may just be worms, hopefully nothing serious.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if an ovarian remnant is left, enough to produce hormones, it shouldn't be enough to produce eggs. And the uterus is usually removed during a spay too, although I understand some European vets don't remove the uterus. So, no, not pregnant, unless the vet really botched something up. Definitely have her checked by the vet; it may just be worms, hopefully nothing serious.
Yes, over here it isn't common practice to remove the uterus too, the vet say that after the ovaries are removed, the uterus waste on its own. In fact, when my cats had some ultrasound scan of their abdomen, the report would say "uterus: not visible".

Should that cat have worms, it would be a problem.
I won't be able to trap her again and have her checked, I wouldn't be able to treat her.
I will wait for the reply from the vets, hopefully on Monday.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vets replied my email, and said that they always remove the uterus too during the surgery, so the possibility that the cat in the photo might be pregnant is zero.

According to them, the cat might have some fluids in her abdomen (FIP? the cat looks healthy, eats, runs, chases other cats away), or she might have a mass, or she might be just... fat...

I will keep an eye on her!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet - or, you - mention the possibility of worms? What do you have to lose by giving her a worming treatment? I think the most common of them that would cause belly distention is roundworms. You might want to check into it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many dewormers can be mixed with food. I think that's worth a try. The roundness of her belly just doesn't seem like fatness.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet - or, you - mention the possibility of worms? What do you have to lose by giving her a worming treatment? I think the most common of them that would cause belly distention is roundworms. You might want to check into it.
No, no mention of worms.
The colony cats eats at a group of large bowls, and the chance that a cat gets the right amount of dewormer is little. It might be possible that a cat eats all the med, and the other cats gets none.
This is one of the wariest cats in the colony, as you can understand by the fact that I wasn't able to take a good picture of her. It took me weeks, months, to trap her, I don't think I'm able to feed her separately, she would get suspicious.

Many dewormers can be mixed with food. I think that's worth a try. The roundness of her belly just doesn't seem like fatness.
Exactly! A fat cat is fat all around, head to tail, not only around the belly.
Mixing the dewormer with the food could have a cat to eat all the med, and the "fat cat" not have anything.
And it couldn't be repeated the next day, because it could happen the same thing!