spayed a feral cat

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just had a feral cat spayed. It was pregnant at the time so I wanted to keep it a little longer in case there was more extensive surgery done, so I kept it for 7 days and then released it.   I haven't seen it since. Will it eventually come back around? I hope so because it was use to eating every day and now its gone. I hope it isn't hungry. I just can't figure out where these cats go to stay. It had all the food and warmth right at my house. I also have a black feral coming too. But it only comes at night and night is when I have all the trouble with the raccoon's.  

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well done!   I held thumb everything is OK with this kitty!    It should be. 7 days is a quite long recovery time for a semiferale.  They are made of tough wood.

The only question is, if she managed to be 7 days inside without problems, she was perhaps a candidate for fostering....   But again, fostering is just one half of it.  Finding a good adoptions home which is happy with an a  shy cat is another question...

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, very well done!  If she doesn't come back, she may have a home (or someone else feeding her) somewhere.  Even so, she is far better off now, having been spayed and had her vaccinations.

It does sometimes take time for ferals to return after their surgeries.  The whole process is upsetting, so they are a little more cautious about approaching the "scene of the crime."

If she does return, she  will soon settle into a new routine and will likely become friendlier and friendlier.  Good job!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fostering wasn't an option. I already have one in my bathroom that I am taming, but she was only 7 months old when I caught her. She is finally letting me touch her and its been 5 months. The cat I just had spayed ended up getting out of the cage but the cage was in a small room, so I didn't care. She hid the whole time somewhere. As long as she ate and used the litter box I was happy. So after seven days I let her go. I had to find her and finally coax her out. She went up threw the yard like she normally did. I really do hope I see her. Because she has food and a warm place to sleep here. 

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I really do hope to see her again. I had kept her a little longer because of the surgery and also she had part of her tail missing. When they had spayed her they said her tail was infected so they gave her a strong antibiotic. So I didn't want to put her out in the rain. I actually kept her a day longer because I thought she was outside but she wasn't. She had gotten out of her cage and was hiding in this room I had her in. I didn't care as long as she used the litter and was eating.  After I found her, it wasn't raining so I decided to let her go, I just opened everything up and she could see the doors were open, but she didn't leave and I wasn't sure if she did or not, because I couldn't see her.  So I shut everything up and the next day my husband looked into the room and seen she had used the litter and had eaten some food, so she was still there. So I had to kinda coax her out and she did real well and went up threw the yard where she normally goes. I just really expected to see her back. 

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its been a week now and my feral that I had spayed hasn't returned to eat. I'm really upset about this. Does anyone know why she would of left  and not return to eat. I know it was traumatic to go threw a spaying and also be kept inside for a week but you would think she is hungry and would come back to eat. Do they ever get over the trauma of what had happened?  I know my inside cats don't remember any of that.  She had a warm place to sleep, food and water every day. I'm just upset for the fact something may be wrong with her after the spay. She seemed alright, but if I could just see her once to know she is alright I would be happy.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Its been a week now and my feral that I had spayed hasn't returned to eat. I'm really upset about this. Does anyone know why she would of left  and not return to eat. I know it was traumatic to go threw a spaying and also be kept inside for a week but you would think she is hungry and would come back to eat. Do they ever get over the trauma of what had happened?  I know my inside cats don't remember any of that.  She had a warm place to sleep, food and water every day. I'm just upset for the fact something may be wrong with her after the spay. She seemed alright, but if I could just see her once to know she is alright I would be happy.
I know it can be a worry.  The vast majority of TNR'd cats do return.  She may be hunting as the weather is warmer or she may have found another food source to tie her over.  Give her some more time, she may be coming around when you are not there to see. 

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know she isn't coming because I have a camera set up, I have been looking for her. I had moved the food because we had racoons coming so that's why I put the camera up to see what time she might be coming so I can make sure she eats.