Spay while in heat

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 9 month old kitten that I recently rescued is in her 2nd heat since I’ve rescued her. Her last heat lasted about 4 days. She is due to get spayed 6 days from now. I couldn’t afford to take her to my normal vet for this procedure but I did get an appointment with my local shelter who does low cost spays. If she is still in heat by Monday will she still be able to have the procedure? The next soonest appointment would be out to October which is a very long wait. My other cat was spayed when I adopted her so this is new to me. Any advice helps! :)
E053C051-C43F-4F0D-9656-44C261B2BD3D.jpeg

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Love her golden eyes!

I believe a cat can be spayed while in heat. It just needs a vet more experienced in this surgery because the cat will bleed more. Generally a vet doing low cost spay surgeries for a shelter will perform many more spay operations than a regular vet, thus has ample experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haileym1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Love her golden eyes!

I believe a cat can be spayed while in heat. It just needs a vet more experienced in this surgery because the cat will bleed more. Generally a vet doing low cost spay surgeries for a shelter will perform many more spay operations than a regular vet, thus has ample experience.
Yes this is what I thought too I’m sure they spay many animals, I’m just an over thinker, thank you!! 🙂

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes should be fine. The sooner you get her spayed the better. Each time she goes into heat her risk of mammary (breast) cancer goes up.