Spay site smells badly and looks strange

HoneyPeppa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, our 5 month old Peppa was spayed six days ago. I took pictures a few days after and verified with the vet that it looked okay. They said yes but keep monitoring for more redness swelling discharge etc. This morning I noticed she had a horrible smell when I picked her up so I looked at her incision and it does look like the actual incision line is more open and red and I'm not sure if there is crusted discharge.
I already sent pictures to the vet but they can take awhile to get time to get back to me and I'm very nervous about it so I just wanted to get opinions here too in the mean time.
Here it is from a few days after to compare:
IMG_20191212_144329947.jpg

And here it is now:
IMG_20191216_043201417.jpg

IMG_20191216_043153480.jpg

The fact that it was more closed looking in the first one seems wrong to me. But maybe I'm wrong and this is normal? It was closed with surgical glue by the way.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait to see what the vet says. I know the waiting can be hard! It does look like maybe it has opened some to me, but I am not a vet. You're being proactive and have your girl's best interest in mind!

The smell...is it possible it could have been poop? Though it looks a little open, it doesn't look infected or particularly nasty.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The incision looks fine to me. However, the smell is something to be concerned about. Have you heard back from the vet yet? If the smell gets worse, or it looks even MORE open (they all can, just a bit), or the redness spreads, or there is increased swelling, then take her on in and have them check it in person. AND you have an excellent set of photos, so you can compare.