Spay incision

Sja52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. My cat got spayed on Monday, 5 days ago, and we’ve been keeping her in a pen, only letting her out a few minutes at a time each day. The most she’s exerted herself is jumping on the bathroom sink/counter and stretching in her crate. Her incision opened slightly, and has a little bit of clear discharge and some blood around it. Should I be concerned? Just keep an eye on it?

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Her incision itself looks okay. It's very small.
The only thing I would keep an eye on...is that it looks like a slight Seroma...is around the incision site.
That little lumpy tissue...right under the skin incision.

(Usually there are three or four layers of stitches...(can't remember how many)...the abdominal layer, sub-q and fat layer, and skin layer...but sometimes a space forms...between the layers...and fluids, blood, etc fill that layer.
I think I read that Vets often just leave them to heal,...and eventually go away...but it is always best to ask your Vet directly.
Ask the Vet...not the vet tech...is your best option.)

Is there any way you could email... or text a photo...to your Vet?
That is definitely what I would do.

(PS. I'd love to see a photo of her front side, too...if you have the time.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sja52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her incision itself looks okay. It's very small.
The only thing I would keep an eye on...is that it looks like a slight Seroma...is around the incision site.
That little lumpy tissue...right under the skin incision.

(Usually there are three or four layers of stitches...(can't remember how many)...the abdominal layer, sub-q and fat layer, and skin layer...but sometimes a space forms...between the layers...and fluids, blood, etc fill that layer.
I think I read that Vets often just leave them to heal,...and eventually go away...but it is always best to ask your Vet directly.
Ask the Vet...not the vet tech...is your best option.)

Is there any way you could email... or text a photo...to your Vet?
That is definitely what I would do.

(PS. I'd love to see a photo of her front side, too...if you have the time.)
Thank you! This is my sweet Lynnie! She would keep a cone on so she is a bread-cat until she heals. Haha!

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww....she is adorable.
:loveeyes:
She does not look too happy with that 'bread cone' on....(but hey...it looks comfy to me). haha. I love it. and suddenly I want toast.lol

Bread-cat....that's brilliant.:blush:
Thanks for the laugh of the day.
Don't tell Lynnie that I am laughing.

It's really hard to keep cats or kittens from jumping up and down on things.
I'm not sure how vets ...think that is at all possible.

(mine were 5.5 months....and the vet said...they'd be sleeping for most of the day .and next day.
I think they slept for four hours...and then proceeded to jump on and off the sofa.)

PS...just remember to send a photo to your Vet. :thumbsup:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty looks to be doing pretty well, and you're doing all that's reasonable to keep her quiet. She's five days into her healing, so doesn't have much more to go. I wouldn't worry about that little bit of opening and discharge at this point. Keep an eye on her incision, though.

As for the bread collar, good for you if it works. My cats would eat their way out of it in short order!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the bread collar, good for you if it works. My cats would eat their way out of it in short order!
V vince ...your cats sound much smarter than mine.
Mine would get their 'dog friend labrador mix'...to do it...since he likes to eat everything, anyway. :drool:

I just love how Lynnie is giving Sja52 Sja52 ....that intense stare....that says, "if you take any more photos of me, with this bread collar on,...I think I may have to destroy your camera, phone, and any related cords, cables, too."
That look is priceless.

Good on you, Sja52 Sja52 ...for getting your Lynnie spayed. :thumbsup:
(That collar does remind me...of those comfortable neck rests...they used to have on airplane flights for sleeping, while sitting.)
Way better than a cone...I would imagine.

Sja52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys. Her wound seems to have gotten worse, I wasn’t able to get ahold of the vet yesterday and they are closed today so I will be calling in the morning. It opened up more and looks a little green inside, but there doesn’t seem to be anything seeping out? My boyfriend said he caught her laying a certain way where she was able to scratch/kick at the incision, so the cone went back on, we looped her collar through it so hopefully she can’t get it off now 🤦🏻‍♀️

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. Her wound seems to have gotten worse, I wasn’t able to get ahold of the vet yesterday and they are closed today so I will be calling in the morning. It opened up more and looks a little green inside, but there doesn’t seem to be anything seeping out? My boyfriend said he caught her laying a certain way where she was able to scratch/kick at the incision, so the cone went back on, we looped her collar through it so hopefully she can’t get it off now 🤦🏻‍♀️
Oh, no. Green is definitely not good.
Green and yellow mean infection...inside.
The Vet will have to flush it out...and re-close it. Poor Lynnie. :frown:

Can you call another Vet...that is open on Sundays...and ask if you could place a warm compress mixed with saline on it.
Though, salt water compress may make her want to itch it more.

If it's warm and hot to the touch...then warm water would not be good.
And if you could see the fat layer inside...also not good.
(I hate that our cats always manage to get sick on weekends.)

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now it's time for the vet. Green is possible infection. I figured she was licking it and if she left it alone, it would be all right. She found another way to scratch at the incision. Cats are often quite resourceful.

My cats seem to get sick on weekends, too. My veterinary hospital used to be an emergency hospital, open almost all hours, but I don't know if that holds true after the COVID pandemic.

Sja52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update, if anyone wants to know haha. I got her to the vet on Monday, got the wound cleaned out, glued and stapled. She is on an antibiotic and goes back to the vet in 2 weeks for a check up but should be all good now *knocks on wood* lol, she is now in a onesie 😂

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is she doing with the onesie? Better than with the cone? At least she doesn't look miserable in the photo.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Update, if anyone wants to know haha. I got her to the vet on Monday, got the wound cleaned out, glued and stapled. She is on an antibiotic and goes back to the vet in 2 weeks for a check up but should be all good now *knocks on wood* lol, she is now in a onesie 😂
Thanks for the update!
I know I said "adorable" before....but now she looks like royalty, too.👑
That onesie is impressive.
Hope she likes it....and heals fast.
Only healthy vibes being sent for Lynnie. :blush::vibes::vibes::tabbycat: