Spay Incision

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I got my two 7 yr old indoor cats spayed 8 days ago. My one cat Nova had issues wearing the cone so we watched her 24/7 for the first 6 days. She got relentless with trying to clean it so we finally figured out a way to get the cone on without stressing her out too much. Its not as swollen as it was a day ago but i have noticed a slight smell and the color is a bit odd although theres not really any discharge and its not red or bleeding. I called my vet again and tried to send them another picture and they still havent called back with an answer ( i sent a picture a few days ago and they never answered)... ive considered cleaning it with a cotton ball and warm saline because im really worried... is there anything i can do to help prevent it from getting worse? The vet is about an hour away from where we live so if we bring her in it has to be serious... please help☹
This is currently
1627331147339752424175365955274.jpg
this was 4 days ago (day 4)
IMG_20210722_142547325.jpg

Szczygiel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet for you. They do not seem like a good vet if they do not call back. Or are you not giving the whole story. Not trying to attack you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I emailed a picture I just havent gotten a response.... maybe they didnt think anything was wrong? And this vet is the best one in my area i live on a mountain its either them or 3 hours away in Albany. I dont feel attacked I just wish you had given a response to the main question instead of commenting about my vet and then assuming
Im "not telling the whole story" which kind of seems a little rude. Thank you for your input.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but cats can be so hard to position sometimes. You could try wiping it over with some diluted betadine, but make sure to dry the area afterwards to prevent further growth of bacteria.

Keep trying to contact the vet. It doesn't look horrible, but infection can be very subtle and the odour you mentioned worries me a little. Keep a close eye on her behaviour, as long as her appetite remains the same don't stress too much, but still seek veterinary advice as soon as you can.

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but cats can be so hard to position sometimes. You could try wiping it over with some diluted betadine, but make sure to dry the area afterwards to prevent further growth of bacteria.

Keep trying to contact the vet. It doesn't look horrible, but infection can be very subtle and the odour you mentioned worries me a little. Keep a close eye on her behaviour, as long as her appetite remains the same don't stress too much, but still seek veterinary advice as soon as you can.
Thank you! I know it worries me too ive been noticing it more and more since we put the cone on... do cats stress sweat? I mean i know they sweat out of their paws... they dont have sweaty paws and their ears are a normal temperature... Im hoping maybe its because she hasn't been able to clean the rest of her body and shes stressed because we were finally able to calmly get the cone on without her hurting herself... theyre supervised when theyre together they usually just chill on the couch... both are eating, drinking, using the bathroom acting pretty normal besides the occasional still stare and back up maneuver because of the cone she really hates it but we really had no choice this took a couple days on and off of trying and she would thrash that's why the vet gave us seditives and another pain killer for her but they only prescribed silvia painkillers AND antibiotics not nova... i just hope its okay ill update her picture tomorrow when i call and send it to my vet hopefully they seriously take it serious like id show up there but i need an appointment i called saturday waited for a response after i emailed a picture, theyre closed sundays and because of that mondays are booked up like crazy like i said its the best animal hospital in the area its not like open and inflammed or swollen and red or dripping puss, shes eating, going to the bathroom drinking water, acting normal besides hating the heck out of the cone... its not like an emergency if it was theres an er (separate place) that I would be taking her to tonight. I will 150% call as soon as they open in the morning and theyre just going to have me send a picture to the hospitals email I just hope they answer me. Thank you again!

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also when i emailed them we still hadn't been able to get the cone on and it didn't have a smell

Katthewillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: after dabbing it with warm saline twice yesterday, the intensity of the smell has gone way down... havent been able to get a good look at it but ill take a picture before we leave for work.... its now day 9 and im still nervous about seprately crating them while we are gone this will be the first day i go back to work i stayed at home with them all week last week because we couldn't leave nova alone . We leave at 7 and won't come home until noon i just hope they'll be alright... they freak when theyre separated and we have them stacked which isn't ideal... maybe ill put one in my bedroom so they stay calm... ugh ive been terribly nauseous from stress... i just want them to heal and get these damn cones off so they can be their normal selves again.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would give your vet a call and ask for a response to the email, vets have a duty of care to both the pets and the owners. Tell them you are concerned and would appreciate a phone call today.